Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lars-Erik Aabech 349 posts 1100 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2015 @ 09:44
    Lars-Erik Aabech

How do you guys keep SCM and references neat and tidy with packages?

I've been struggling with this since I started using Umbraco.
    When installing packages using the Umbraco backoffice, you get assemblies written directly to bin and files shoved into the umbraco folder.
    This creates two issues, at least for me:

1. To avoid having megabytes of umbraco front-end files we already have from the nuget package in SCM, we just exclude the entire umbraco folder from both the VS project and SCM. However, when a package has files in there, you'll have to include that folder in either the project or SCM, or both. If you do so, VS and SCM is prone to start adding all the files and "all hell is lose".

2. To be able to use the APIs in the assemblies copied to bin, we have to manually copy them to some lib folder in solution root and add references manually. That's not really a big issue, but there might be version incompatibilities etc. So a small hell there too.

Of course nuget packages do this "right", but you lose the package install actions. So I usually install the package once on one box, and then address the above to make sure it "just works" on my colleagues boxes when they clone the project.
    I've also made a small tool that converts packages to nuget packages, but I still don't get the install actions.
    (on my github account for the interested)

I'm well aware that we've got the "Umbraco Nuget for Packages" discussion running elsewhere, but I'm really curious what others do to address these issues.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2015 @ 09:59
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Lars-Erik,

We have this setup.

We exclude all unneeded folders (/umbraco, /umbraco_client,/App_data, etc) from our VS solution. But we add them to our git repo. Normally this is not needed because we install it using nuget and nuget restore would do the trick. 

But when you make changes to language files, of have packages installed that place files in one of these folders you need to have them source controlled.

For packages that can not be installed using nuget we place the dll files in a Libraries folder. We then reference them in our project or copy them at build.

We put that folder in git as well. The bin folder from our VS projects is excluded from git by the way.

Dave

• Lars-Erik Aabech 349 posts 1100 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2015 @ 11:19
    Lars-Erik Aabech

@Dave, that's more or less what we do too. Although we don't put the entire umbraco folder in git. When not doing that, we need to force add files from any plugins that stuff files in there. And that's really cumbersome.
    Including in VS makes (at least the VS git plugin) it include the entire folder and stuff gets really bad.

I'm currently planning to use my package to nuget tool to extract the package in a clean folder and copy it to a content lib folder in the project. Then add a build target that copies them into umbraco on build. At least have to extract like that when the guid filename approach is used.

Still curious to hear what others do, though.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft