Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Abonyi-Toth Zsolt 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 28, 2015 @ 16:27
    Abonyi-Toth Zsolt

Root element is missing (users only)

Hi,

Our Umbraco developer became to be unaccessible a few months ago. I have to try to fix issues without knowing anything about Umbraco and without any help.

Few weeks ago we ran out of disk space. The Umbraco backend didn't work. I don't remenber the error message already, but googled and solved. Applications.config and trees.config were empty. Two years old backup copies have been found. The empty ones have been replaced by them and we were happy. Until yesterday. When I log in, select Users in Section pane (bottom left). In left pane I expand Users, so I can see the user names. Clicking any of them I get the "Root element missing" error. If I right click a name only one option do I have: Disable. If I create a new user, and click his name, I get the same error.

User permissions seems to be working. I can see them and I can change them.

Could you help me how to fix this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 28, 2015 @ 16:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Abonyi-Toth and welcome to our :)

That sounds like a tough situation you're in.

I'm wondering if it could again be disk space that has run out? Have you checked it? What version of Umbraco are you running? And do you know if any changes have been made right before this error started to happen?

/Jan

• Abonyi-Toth Zsolt 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 29, 2015 @ 10:38
    Abonyi-Toth Zsolt

Hi Jan,

We have 1.2GB free space. I check it regularly.

Version: Umbraco v6.0.5 (Assembly version: 1.0.4869.18012)
    (Ooops, it is not version 7, sorry. I did not check before posting my question.)

I suppose the error started to happen together with the previous one. We have about 30 users, they do their jobs. No need to change user data usually. I realized the problem last week only when tried to reset a forgotten password. 

Maybe the backup copies of the two config files were too old? I have still no idea.

Thanks, 

Zsolt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft