Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 13:55
    Tony Groome

No email on form submission

Hi All

I have a form on my site which just takes in information, name, email and a message. I can view the submitted information in Entries and export as required. I also have a Workflow set up to email me when a form is submitted. This does not work at all. I set up the workflow like in the Umbraco.tv video. Any ideas? Do I need to buy a licence? I thought one came free, bit confused about that.

Thanks. Tony

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 30, 2015 @ 14:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

You need to set up a valid email address in the /config/umbracoSettings.config as well where it says [email protected] - Also double check that your SMTP settings in the web.config are setup correctly.

If these things are in place it might be worth checking the /App_Data/Logs files and see if there is any related errors.

This should work and not require a license - However it will only work on your localhost. In order to use Contour in production you'll need to buy a license.

A handy tool for testing that e-mails are being sent is https://smtp4dev.codeplex.com/

Hope this makes sense and helps.

/Jan

Apr 30, 2015 @ 15:29
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I set up a valid email address in /config/umbracoSettings.config where it said [email protected]. Over in web.config I added my username and password for the same email address. The network host is my own network adapter 127.0.0.1. The log files only show previous errors! But it still doesn't work...

That looks like a handy tool for testing emails - thanks. Tony

Apr 30, 2015 @ 15:53
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I think I'm going mad! I used the smtp tool and it showed up the 'missing' emails. They are going somewhere! Hmmm.....the plot thickens....

Tony

May 01, 2015 @ 12:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Hmm, yeah that is really odd - Not sure what the issue could be. What does the error messages say? I don't recall or see them being posted in the previous post? :)

/Jan

May 01, 2015 @ 13:16
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

Just checked there is an error from yesterday, [Thread 1]Determining hash of code files on disk. That's it.

The project I'm using is a little test site I built earlier on this year, maybe I'll just make another one and start again, its only for testing for an intranet I'm building. Currently I'm just doing the research and tyre kicking!

Just tried another form in case it might decide to work - irrational but optimistic! Nope, and now my entries have all vanished. It knows there are 25 entries, so I just tried one more and yes the counter incremented to 26, but they are still invisible. Maybe I should upgrade now to 4.1.1, grant you yesterday it hadn't upgraded after about 20 minutes, maybe today....feeling optimistic!!

Thanks. Tony

May 05, 2015 @ 17:44
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I checked again and yes there was a user error (ahem!!) The latest errors are at the bottom of the page, I never went to the bottom, assumed the latest were on top! Doh! So yes it is a problem with my google mail. Hopefully I'll get the smtp settings tomorrow!

Thanks.

Tony

May 06, 2015 @ 10:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Yeah it's important to always look through the logs carefully :)

Looking forward to hear if you succeed with the setup.

/Jan

May 06, 2015 @ 11:03
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

WOO! HOO!!

The email went! All it was was wrong smtp settings! So I guess it is !important to get those right!!

Thanks.

Tony

May 06, 2015 @ 11:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Ace - Happy to hear you figured it out and got it working.

Happy emailing! ;-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft