Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeremy 14 posts 64 karma points
    May 01, 2015 @ 14:48
    Jeremy

Visual Studio 2013 doesn't recognize Html.RenderPartial

I am using Visual Studio 2013 with Umbraco 7.2.4. I can create a template (view) through the back-end and everything works.  But when I go into Visual Studio to edit the template, I get the following error for Html.RenderPartial:

'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<Umbraco.Web.Models.RenderModel>' does not contain a definition for 'RenderPartial' and no extension method 'RenderPartial' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper<Umbraco.Web.Models.RenderModel>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I looked in the references for the project and I see a System.Web.Mvc.Html, but I don't see System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper.  I have MVC 5.2.3 installed and I have run all of the NuGet package updates.

The website works fine, I just get this error in Visual Studio.  I tried resetting the visual studio settings as well as deleting the .suo file for the project.  neither worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Mehul Gajjar 48 posts 172 karma points
    May 01, 2015 @ 15:20
    Mehul Gajjar

Hi Jeremy Bodager,

instead of

@{ Html.RenderPartial("umbHomepageBanner"); }

you could just do

@Html.Partial("umbHomepageBanner")

Hope this is usefull

Regards,

Mehul Gajjar.

May 01, 2015 @ 15:23
    Jeremy

Same "error" message with:

@{ Html.Partial("umbHomepageBanner"); }

Except my partial doesn't get loaded now.

• Marc Goodson 2148 posts 14352 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    May 02, 2015 @ 21:33
    Marc Goodson

Hmm, check your Views folder: It should contain a web.config file with reference to default namespaces and pageBaseType, if it's missing or is blank, or not included in the solution, then you'll get the error messages you are reporting; might not be cause of your problem but worth checking.

May 04, 2015 @ 15:02
    Jeremy

Thanks for the suggestion.  The web.config file does exist and the following entries are included, so I don't think this is the issue (unless I am missing a namespace).

<namespaces>

<add namespace="System.Web.Mvc" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Mvc.Ajax" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Mvc.Html" />

<add namespace="System.Web.Routing" />

<add namespace="Umbraco.Web" />

<add namespace="Umbraco.Core" />

<add namespace="Umbraco.Core.Models" />

<add namespace="Umbraco.Web.Mvc" />

<add namespace="umbraco" />

<add namespace="Examine" />

</namespaces>

May 11, 2015 @ 18:51
    Jeremy

As I was watching some of the surfaccontroller videos, I realized some of the other classes were also showing errors, so I decided to start a new project and try again.  I came across some posts online saying mvc 5 is supported in umbraco 7.2, but only if you start with .net mvc 4 and then upgrade to mvc 5.  On my new project, I started with an MVC 4 project.  Then I installed umbraco and finally I updated to MVC 5 (via nuget).  This resolved the issue.

Here is a link I found with some information that helped me:  http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2015/2/19/umbraco-722-and-625-released

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft