Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2015 @ 10:24
    Sören Deger

Issue: Special characters in node names (IE)

Hi,

we have a very strange behaviour with special german characters (ö,ä,ü,ß) in node names.

If we create a new node in content section and the name of this new node contains special german characters the name is displayed correctly in firefox and chrome. But if we create a node with this characters in IE 10 or IE 11 the character in node name is shown as � (rhombus with question mark inside).

Is this an issue in IE or in umbraco? Has everyone the same behaviour?

We use v7.2.4.

Best,

Sören

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 07, 2015 @ 10:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sören

Hmm, is it in the backoffice you're seeing the issue? I think it's probably a charset issue somewhere in either the code or in the file settings for the part of the code - Could you share screendump perhaps?

/Jan

May 07, 2015 @ 11:21
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

yes, I see the issue in the backoffice:

Cheers,

Sören

May 07, 2015 @ 11:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sören

Hmm, I think it might be worth reporting an issue about this - I suspect it might be the charset somewhere in the code base. So perhaps a good idea to advice the client to use anything else but IE currently.

/Jan

May 07, 2015 @ 11:41
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

thank you for the feedback :)

Issue report is here:
    http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6602

It is difficult to use a different browser because IE is mandatory in the company to be used as a browser :-/ 

Let's see what I can achieve.

Best,

Sören

May 07, 2015 @ 13:46
    Sören Deger

Hi Jan,

good news. We have solved it and it's not a bug in the core!

If the customer create a node in backoffice by the normal way it works in IE, too. There is a custom section with a custom property editor. This property editor create automatically nodes in content section. The angularJS controller post the name of the new content node per url parameter to a webApi controller. And this point is the cause for the described behaviour. IE  doesn't support this special characters into an url per default. There are an special option in the browser to activate the sending of utf-8 urls. Another way is to replace the special characters in angularJS controller before sending to webApi and replace back again this characters in webApiController after receiving this parameter from url. 

I hope this can help everyone with a similiar issue in the future.

Cheers,

Sören

May 07, 2015 @ 13:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sören - Aaah nice! Thanks for sharing - I'm sure it will benefit others at some point too.

I did not think of that scenario since I thought things were created using the traditional way of creating content :)

Wow...about to hit the 10.000 mark :D

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft