Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian Grainger 71 posts 135 karma points
    May 12, 2015 @ 10:28
    Ian Grainger

Migrate uComponents Related Links datatype data to Umbraco 7

I'm trying to upgrade from Umbraco 6 to 7, and I used the uComponents Related Links data type in Umbraco 6, so I need to change to use the standard Umbraco 7 Related Links data type instead. The data needs to change from XML to JSON. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

It'd also be great to trigger something automatically when the upgrade happens - but I can only find mention of GUID -> alias mapping in the upgrade documentation.

Thanks! And I'm amazed I can't find anyone else trying to do this!

If you find a way to do this you can have StackOverflow points, too! http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30105433/migrate-ucomponents-related-links-datatype-data-to-umbraco-7 ;)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 12, 2015 @ 13:07
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ian,

You have to create custom property editor. Like that :

http://umbraco.github.io/Belle/#/tutorials/CreatingAPropertyEditor

May 12, 2015 @ 13:10
    Ian Grainger

No you don't? You can use this: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors-v7/Related-Links - but it presumably won't expect the XML from the uComponents related links editor?

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Sep 18, 2015 @ 21:55
    Chris Randle

Hi Ian,

Sorry it has been a while in getting back to you about this. I've decided to respond to this OOC from the Stack Overflow public eye :-) I'm wondering if the reason that nobody else is responding because it's not clear what the actual issue is? Perhaps we should consider the logic behind the conclusion that we need to change the underlying data structure.

XML and JSON are handled seamlessly by most of Umbraco.As far as I can tell, you should be able to keep your old relationship uComponents Related Links as I tried this myself and didn't have a problem. What information are you using that makes you believe you need to upgrade the data to JSON? From what I understand, you shouldn't be touching anything internal such as how the data types are storing things. It's further confirmed by this Umbraco v7.0.0 upgrade instructions page under the section headed Related Links Property Editor. It states that you only have problems if you are using XSLT. Is this what you're doing? Otherwise - are you not seeing the legacy property data type after upgrading?

Sep 21, 2015 @ 08:00
    Ian Grainger

It's been a little while - but I think the point about XML / JSON is an oversimplification on my part. The uComponents DLLs actually cause Umbraco to fall over if you leave them there - but once you've removed them, switching to the new U7 Related Links picker didn't keep the data, (so the new component wasn't compatible).

Unless you're telling me they are and I've done something wrong, which is possible and does explain why no-one else complains about this problem!

I think 3 months ago I'd have defended my assertion that the new built in component isn't a drop-in replacement for uComponents Related Links much more confidently. But now I'm wondering if that previous Ian just did something wrong... :\

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft