Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hannah Anais 10 posts 50 karma points
    May 17, 2015 @ 18:08
    Hannah Anais

How do I set up Umbraco7 and Web Hosting

I have been learning Umbraco 7 by running it using WebMatrix. I am really enjoying it and think it is a very powerful CMS. However, I am now facing a stubling block going forward. I don't know how to find hosting for Umbraco 7 or set it up.

In the past I had a site hosted by 123 REG. They offer Umbraco as a 'one click' install with a hosting package but this is only Umbraco 4.7. How would I update this to 7? I know I will need hosting that offers a Windows database but I am not technical enough to know how to set a database up. Should I have just learnt Wordpress where most hosting providers offer it as a simple 'one click' install and update?

Any help welcome.

Thanks

• TikTakToe 60 posts 102 karma points
    May 17, 2015 @ 20:36
    TikTakToe

Hi

You can install it on a windows server without having to use a separate sql, as you can install using sql ce (the default).

One click installs are just there for convenience - you can download version 7, install it locally, then just copy all the files up to your hosting account and it will work (you may need to set up file/folder permissions manually which the one click installer may do - see https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions, bit outdated but gives you the idea)

stick with umbraco, it's worth it!

cheers

ian

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 05:23
    John Palmer

Hi Hannah,

If so, I would recommend you to ask your hosting provider to install it for you. Or you can install it by your own self. It is very easy. Just download the newest Umbraco 7 and then extract all your files to your httpdocs folder, setting up your database, give full permission. For umbraco hosting, I would recommend you to visit hostforlife.eu. They offer Umbraco hosting

Good luck

• Openfield Creative 62 posts 222 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 18:08
    Openfield Creative

Hi Hannah,

You can also use Microsoft Azure (http://azure.microsoft.com) to for hosting Umbraco. They have many different ways that they can host an Umbraco site, but the easiest is probably through their Web Apps. You can create a free account with them that will allow for the creation of up to 10 web apps (they use to call them websites, but switched to web apps in the last month or so) so you can have someplace to play around with the configuration and get used to the Azure interface without worrying about racking up a large hosting bill. When you create a new web app you can do a quick or custom create which is great if you want to install Umbraco yourself, or you can create from a gallery of different products that includes Umbraco. Azure will step you through the entire process including setting up a database. I've been hosting a site on there for a bout 5 months at a higher tier and haven't experienced any major problems from the service itself.

Hope that helps,

Owen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft