Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AmandaEly 123 posts 379 karma points
    May 21, 2015 @ 12:22
    AmandaEly

What is the best controller type for pagination?

Hi all,

My website has a lot of data that will need to be presented in tables (race results and so on). This will need pagination, which implies returning a request to a controller. The controller will need page size and page number. I am reading that surface controllers are intended for forms (llike contact forms) and pagination isn't really a form in that sense. So should I be using a custom controller?

And of course, I will want to be able to use AJAX for paging at some point but that is another story.

I am also sure this topic is not new but I have only just heard of custom controllers.

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    May 21, 2015 @ 13:45
    Chris Wilson

I have implemented pagination on numerous Surface Controllers and it works absolutely fine.

May 21, 2015 @ 18:03
    AmandaEly

Thanks, I'll do that then.

Jun 15, 2015 @ 10:01
    AmandaEly

Chris,

could you please give an example of this? I'm pretty lost. Do you, for example, implement your paging in a separate helper with its own controller?

Can anyone point me to a good example of a plain Surface Controller (no hijacking if it is not needed) which implements paging? I have no problem with getting the data (skip, take and so on), it's just the to and fro of buttons, AnglarJs and Controller that has me in a spin.

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    Jun 16, 2015 @ 16:01
    Chris Wilson

I tend to implement it as a controller action that returns a View pre-populated with the requested page of results - taking the requested page number as a URL parameter for SEO purposes.

So, for instance if you were making a search results page you could do the following:

public class SearchController : SurfaceController 
    {
        public ActionResult DisplayResults(int page, string query)
        {
            // Set your search variables
            var pageSize = 10;

//Do the search
            searcher = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["ExternalSearcher"]
            var results = searcher.Search(query, true)
                                  .Where(r=> r["__IndexType"].Equals("content"))

// Work out how many results to skip
            var resultsToSkip = page > 0 ? (page - 1) * pageSize : 0;

// Take only the results you need
            var resultSet = results.Skip(resultsToSkip)
                                   .Take(pageSize)

return View("SearchResults", resultSet);
        }
    }

Then your View just needs to iterate through the result set and display the results however you want.

There's probably simpler ways of doing it but I like that you can essentially go anywhere from here, customising the implementation to your current requirements - and still keep the logic in the controller.

You can further simplify this by putting that logic into the Index method and simply allowing the page to be a simple search engine.

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere :)

/Chris

Jun 16, 2015 @ 16:16
    AmandaEly

Thanks very much. I've taken a solution from a general MVC advice site in the meantime. Each list page has its own pager type.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft