Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pantryfight 60 posts 84 karma points
    May 22, 2015 @ 13:01
    pantryfight

Umbraco 7.2.5 memory leak?

Hi folks,

I currently have a very smally Umbraco 7.2.5 website (15 pages max) running on a low-tier AWS EC2 instance. I'd noticed that performance had been less than stellar and I realised while watching memory usage of the w3wp process that the memory used increased with every request, even pages that had already been visited.  

I thought it might have been a problem with some of the frameworks of my site so I did an experiment. I started a completely fresh empty Umbraco site running on my local machine (IIS 8.5) with a single document type and single page that just showed bodyText and nothing else, to monitor it's memory usage.

I found while running this one page site and watching memory usage of w3wp that memory jumped up by a few hundred kb every time I refreshed the page. I found that by rapidly clicking the refresh button on the same page I was able to jump up the memory usage quite a bit in a short amount of time. It also seemed that this memory did not get released with the process continuing to use the same amount of memory after leaving it alone for about half an hour and checking back.

Can anyone explain what's going on here of have any workaround?  It seems like a bug to me since I'm requesting the same page every time, it should just fetch the content from umbraco.config right? And not use any further memory? Does this memory usage cap out and any point? Is there any minimum requirements for memory of a server hosting umbraco?

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    May 26, 2015 @ 19:29
    Matthew Kirschner

I've also had some users report some slow-down when using the backoffice. I haven't been able to run any diagnostic tests, but what they told me sounded consistent with symptoms from a memory leak. The user was adding several (40+) thumbnails to an RTE in the backoffice to simulate a gallery. The media picker ran well at first, but gradually started to chug as they repeated the same action of clicking the Media Picker > navigating to the media folder > selecting an image. Obviously I need to create a gallery option for users so they don't have to go through this monotonous process, but the point still stands that these actions caused the site to slow-down.

We're running Umbraco 7.2.4 and the RTE is nested in an Archetype.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft