Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zolomon 8 posts 38 karma points
    May 29, 2015 @ 11:59
    Zolomon

Creating package of changes to be deployed to live site?

Hi,

I can't afford to buy the Courier package, so I need to learn how to create packages myself with the changes I need to deliver.

How am I supposed to commit backend changes? For example, my own class library that will result in a .DLL file to be referenced by the main project and used in views/surface controllers?

I can't find any information on this either through my Umbraco.TV subscription or in the documentation.

I would love to see some good documentation on this, since the official one is quite lacking, or I will need to go through the source code myself to understand how it works.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    May 29, 2015 @ 13:02
    Dave Woestenborghs

Deploying dll's is the same as for any ASP.NET application. You will need to copy them to other server.

Or you can create a umbraco package in the developers section. You can add all the things you need to deploy to the package and create a zip file.

That zipfile can be uploaded in the package manager in the other environment and will deploy your changes.

Dave

• Mike Ryan 5 posts 75 karma points
    Apr 23, 2021 @ 21:15
    Mike Ryan

I used to do this same process for getting new changes in the solution up the environment chain, but Umbraco 8 doesn't seem to allow adding the actual cshtml, css, js files. Do you know if Umbraco 8 allows that?

• Zolomon 8 posts 38 karma points
    May 29, 2015 @ 13:43
    Zolomon

Thanks!

So if I have two projects in my website solution, one as a custom class library and the other an MVC 5 project with Umbraco-CMS installed as a NuGet package with local changes (added surface controllers, views etc.), I wonder the following:

• The main project when built will have a bunch of .DLLs in its bin/Release folder, so I want to add these to the package, and all the BackOffice changes as well (selected during Package Contents)? As well as scripts, stylesheets and other resource files also? Where will they end up on the live version - must I control it through package actions?

• If my class library has a lot of .DLLs as dependencies and I add those to the package, will the package once installed overwrite these .DLLs if they already exist? (I am thinking about if multiple packages have dependencies on .DLLs but with different versions, or if I need to update this package and redploy - how do I deal with conflicts and so on ?)

Sorry for my apparent lack of knowledge in this regard! This is all so very confusing at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, I am wondering how I should properly work alongside a live version of the website I am developing for. From what I read, Courier was the way to go, but I can't afford that. Is there some other way I can work instead of having to write a package for my changes, if it's not going to be public and so on?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft