Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

  • Ross Brooker 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 15:26
    Ross Brooker

    Save and Publish returns a blank error


    We've got a new site built for us by a third party agency, with Umbraco 7.2.2
    I'm a developer who is trying to troubleshoot problems for my marketing department who are looking after all the content, but I'm doing this from a standing start, so please treat me gently!


    So here's the issue:  the marketing guys have created / uploaded quite a lot of content, but a lot of it isn't appearing on the site.

    When I click 'Save and Publish' I get 


    Received an error from the server

    An error occurred





    ... and that's it.  Not very helpful!  

    Is there anything I can look at?  There's every possibility I've missed something / done something wrong whilst getting this installed on the server, but with that error message I'm struggling to know where to start!


    Edit:  Oops, sorry I should have searched the forums better,  I found another thread with the same error which was down to the SQL side...

    I have the config provided me to which I've amended to use the correct credentials, but I've noticed this part:



            <remove invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0"/>

            <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Data Provider 4.0" invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact" type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe"/>

            <remove invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient"/>

            <add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for MySQL" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlClientFactory, MySql.Data"/>



    The dev sql server is the full monty - 'Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition (64-bit)' - so would the config entry be a problem for that?






  • Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    Jun 01, 2015 @ 17:08
    Chris Wilson

    Errors of that calibre should be logged in the AppData/Logs folder - can you see anything obvious?

  • Ross Brooker 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 02, 2015 @ 12:07
    Ross Brooker


    Before I spotted your reply I kept searching old threads and followed the common advice of 

    1) Delete the umbraco.config from the app_data folder
    2) Recylce the app pool
    3) Re-add SQL permissions for the username

    .... and it worked!   The error message has gone away, and all the content that had been added but wasn't showing has now appeared.


    Now I've had a quick look in those logs, and there's an awful lot in there.  I can't remember at what times I saw the problem  so I've not been able to locate a concrete example of the original error.
    If anything goes awry again, I'll go straight there - so thanks for that very useful hint!


  • Ross Brooker 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 02, 2015 @ 12:07
    Ross Brooker

    (double post - I got an xlsmt error message so I re-submitted)


  • Sam Boswell 21 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 09:29
    Sam Boswell

    I'm getting the same issue here on Umbraco 7.3.1.

    On every save and publish, I get the blank error message, nothing output to the logs file either.

    I've cleared out cache files, recycled app pool many times, cleared Examine caches, republished the site, and gone over a handful of other threads that look vaguely similar but to no real progress.

    I'm a bit stumped how to proceed as I get no error message to work with!

  • Sam Boswell 21 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 17, 2015 @ 09:45
    Sam Boswell

    Aha! pulled all files down locally and ran it, and I then got a proper error message, showing a duplicate entry in the web.config file.

    Fixing the web.config resolved this error for me.

    Duplicate lines were:

        <remove name="MySqlSiteMapProvider" />
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: