Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 10, 2015 @ 17:02
    Nik

App_Data Cache size problem

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help. We have a site that has been on a live server for about 3 weeks now. In that time the App_Data Cache folder has increased to in excess of 20GB. This seems very high considering that aren't that many images in the site.

I've read this thread: Imagegen Large Cache Bug

However, we aren't using Imagegen and there is no Imagegen or imagegen.sample config files in the solution.

How can we stop this cache from getting so big? It's increasing by about 3MB per visit.

Hope you can help.

Nik

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jun 10, 2015 @ 18:45
    Dan Diplo

Which folder inside App_Data is the problem?

You should be able to delete everything in App_Data as it isn't required to run Umbraco - it's just a cache. Most files will be recreated, apart from log files (but you don't usually need to retain these).

Jun 11, 2015 @ 08:02
    Nik

Hi Dan,

It's the "Cache" folder in App_Data that is getting massive. When I browse down the tree it's image caches. It's as if a new cache is being created for each visit and previous caches not removed.

Nik

Jun 11, 2015 @ 11:16
    Dan Diplo

Umbraco uses a 3rd party tool called ImageProcessor - http://imageprocessor.org/ - this basically re-sizes images and then caches them. So that will be the cache. Though generally it shouldn't get that large and should be self-cleansing.

Umbraco does ship with a fairly old version, so you could try deleting the cache (it will get recreated) and then installing a newer version - I usually do this through NuGet. There are two packages :

https://www.nuget.org/packages/ImageProcessor/

https://www.nuget.org/packages/ImageProcessor.Web/

You should only use NuGet if you have installed Umbraco via NuGet, though.

Jun 11, 2015 @ 11:42
    Nik

Hi Dan,

I'll have a look into this, unfortunately this site developed with Umbraco being installed via nuget much to my frustration. I joined the project most of the way through development and it is due to go live shortly (a week or so).

Have you had any experience manually updating imageprocessor? Will Umbraco work with any version of it do you know?

Nik

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2015 @ 13:39
    John Churchley

Hi Nik,

Are you using 100% width in tandom with the image processor (i.e is there a query after the image file type) on any images it might be caching a different cropped images as every users browser width is slightly different. Also when your testing the site you might be creating hundreds of cropped images as you change your browser size.

Jun 11, 2015 @ 19:14
    Dan Diplo

The latest versions of Umbraco works with latest versions of Image Processor. There is an Umbraco package version available at https://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/imageprocessor/

You could probably just extract the DLL from the Nuget package (you can open them with any program that opens zip files and the DLL will be in the lib folder) and overwrite the ones in Bin folder. Obviously make a backup first :)

Jun 15, 2015 @ 08:48
    Nik

Hi guys,

Firstly, thank you for your help with this. I updated the "image processor" aspect of the project by using their Umbraco Package. And so far it seems to have resolved the issue.

Just thought you might all want to know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Jun 15, 2015 @ 15:45
    Dan Diplo

Glad it works - thanks for letting us know! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft