Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• yogesh pathak 136 posts 221 karma points
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 06:13
    yogesh pathak

How umbraco Works?

Hi All, I want know how exactly umbrcao works . like -

1. how it saves the content
    2. How it renders the saved content (via XML or something)
    3. What is saves to the database and what to files
    4. What is does for caching

Thanks

Yogesh Pathak

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 07:43
    John C Scott

1) Content is saved in a database - usually either SQL Server or SQL CE however other databases are supported. However the database is only used for editing content. When published the content is stored in an XML file called umbraco.config in the /app_data/ folder. This is then used to serve content quickly and is held in memory. Each time content in published this file is updated.

2) there are a large number of alternative ways to render content, probably the easiest is via Razor, you associate an item of content with a template and this template can contain razor script which will render the content.

3) the database is mostly concerned with the operation of the "back-office" ie the editing application for content, almost nothing happens in the database that is concerned with serving pages, so that Umbraco can nicely scale. The main things written as files to disk are the umbraco.config xml file which represents the in memory cache, the examine indexes (based on lucene) for searching, one index is used internally by Umbraco and you can create as many as you like for the purposes of your site, the access.config is another xml file in app_data which concerns any content of your site that requires a login to view and whom may view it, and then a variety of logs etc. Also on disk you have all the templates, assets, partial views etc. There is a simplified database schema here http://goo.gl/lO3GjA

4) tbh I am not completely clear on this point what the current best practice is, there are macros which can be cached and this is detailed in Umbraco.tv that I would highly recommend as the best introduction to Umbraco, and it's good, it works, it's built it, it works on a tick box and is reasonably easy to configure with three alternative options for cacking by page, or user, or query string., however macros are not really used as much they were in older versions, so maybe this is worth starting a separate post about, I'd like to know too!

Hope this helps and makes sense. Thank you for the good questions :)

Jun 12, 2015 @ 08:25
    yogesh pathak

Hi John, Thank you so much much for the information , that helped me a lot

:)

regards Yogesh Pathak

Jun 12, 2015 @ 08:28
    John C Scott

you're very very welcome :)

i really hope your adventures in Umbraco are very rewarding for you

if you think I have answered the question it helps everyone if you can mark it as answered

not a biggy but i like getting the extra points, karma is so much more valuable than money!

Jun 12, 2015 @ 08:32
    yogesh pathak

i don't know why but "mark as solution " option is not available for you answer :( i can see only "Copy link" and "reply" options here

Jun 12, 2015 @ 08:52
    John C Scott

yes that is odd - strangely the button was there for me instead - so I have done this. I'll report this bug. I only came in to see you the new forum, and it's a bonus to find a bug! :) Lovely to make you're acquaintance. A very wise and long standing forum user told me many years ago that asking good questions is probably more important than good answers.

Jun 12, 2015 @ 09:11
    yogesh pathak

:) that's true. I thought i am the only one who is facing the issue (Marking answer as solution) regards Yogesh pathak

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft