Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan 188 posts 380 karma points
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 14:52
    Johan

Web site fails silently

I'm using 7.1.5 and SQLSE on a shared server. Everything has been working great until today. The site is just blank.

I can get in to the back end and it greeted me with this message

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Failed to retrieve data for content id xxxx

In the log i got a couple of error messages saying:

Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.BackgroundTaskRunner`1[[Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.XmlCacheFilePersister, umbraco, Version=1.0.5610.18898, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]
    Task has failed.
    System.TimeoutException: Failed to enter the lock within timeout.
       at Umbraco.Core.AsyncLock.Lock(Int32 millisecondsTimeout)
       at umbraco.content.EnsureFileLock()
       at umbraco.content.<SaveXmlToFileAsync>d__a.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.XmlCacheFilePersister.<RunAsync>d__b.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at Umbraco.Web.Scheduling.BackgroundTaskRunner`1.<RunIBackgroundTaskAsync>d__11.MoveNext()

I have no clue whats going on. I can't ping the site. Tried republish it, restart the server, triple checked folder permissions.

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 15:06
    John Churchley

Have you tried deleting the /App_Data/umbraco.config file then restarting your site?

(recommend backing up the file first to get back to square one if this doesn't work).

Good luck if this isn't the answer.

Jun 12, 2015 @ 15:12
    Johan

No i hadn't. I tried and it didn't regenerate a new one.

Jun 12, 2015 @ 15:38
    John Churchley

Hi Johan,

How about removing the TEMP folder AS well (you might have to stop IIS if there is lock file). Then restart/republish the site hopefully then Luceene/Examine will rebuild the site.

John

Jun 12, 2015 @ 17:50
    Johan

OMG I LOVE YOU JOHN! It worked!!!

I can only mark my own answers as solutions. I guess it's a bug in the new our. I'll mark it as solved as soon as it's possible. <3333

Jun 12, 2015 @ 18:49
    John Churchley

Hi Johan,

Glad you sorted it out!

Jun 23, 2015 @ 08:11
    Johan

For future reference. The error kept happening and it seems to be the same issue as this http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6626. I upgraded to 7.2.6 and it hasn't occurred since fingers crossed.

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Oct 06, 2015 @ 20:50
    Matthew Kirschner

I've just been hit by this issue in 7.2.8 after restarting the website. Getting several Failed to enter the lock within timeout exceptions in the server's event viewer.

• yogesh pathak 136 posts 221 karma points
    Oct 20, 2015 @ 09:13
    yogesh pathak

Hi Matthew, I am having the same issue as yours , have you got any solution for that?

Yogesh

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Oct 20, 2015 @ 12:39
    Matthew Kirschner

Sadly, no, but I also haven't seen the issue recently.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 12:47
    gary

Hi Matthew, Yogesh

Just been hit with this, but not for the first time - but as my system had been running smoothly for a couple of days, investigated this issue.

It's IIS express. My set up is VS2015 (built in IIS Express) and Umbraco 7.3.0.

VS2015 (and VS2013 as I understand) has it's own config files for IIS, it does not use the IIS config. To this end, as I built one project, another was starting at the same time. It appears that if you have 2 projects open at the same time and debug one, it overwrites the VS config.

Having added each project to IIS config, both started without issue.

Will add that this has been an intermittent issue, only today did I follow it further. If it happens with you again, this may be worth looking at.

Have seen a fix to change setting in template, but have no proof that it is working.

Regards

Gary

Nov 12, 2015 @ 11:42
    yogesh pathak

Hi Gary, I am still stuck with that issues , my site is going down after 1 or two days for 7-10 minutes of downtime . i have gone through your comment but the solution is still not clear to me :( (sorry for that) . can you please point me to right direction to resolve this issue?

YOgesh

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Nov 12, 2015 @ 12:30
    gary

Hi Yogesh

Hmm.. have not seen this issue for some time now.

The issue was definitely a server issue. (IIS in my case).

If I remember correctly I had to manually register the site as two sites had the same id, therefore it was firing two http requests. One would time out, lock, the other run, as I switched the front end page, the other would run and the first time out lock.

If your host can provide info on the fail, this may be a similar case. If so it could be something in the config, like default session provider , version or similar.

Sorry can't be more specific.

Regards

Gary

Nov 12, 2015 @ 12:51
    yogesh pathak

Thank you for your response , this issue is being reproduced every time when site goes Ideal for a while

Yogesh

• Renan Franca 13 posts 84 karma points
    Feb 07, 2017 @ 13:53
    Renan Franca

Is there any news? I'm too worry about it, because i read a lot of posts about this problem and there is no solution.... My Umbraco version is 7.5.6

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2017 @ 09:24
    Jeroen Breuer

I also had this error after upgrading to Umbraco 7.5.12. Now upgraded to 7.5.13 and it's fixed again. Was related to this issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-9752

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft