Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rajesh 13 posts 33 karma points
    Jun 16, 2015 @ 18:00
    Rajesh

Create multiple websites by users

I know that an administrator can create multiple users. I want to know if we can allow those users to create their own websites (different websites for each users) ?

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jun 16, 2015 @ 20:24
    Sören Deger

Hi Rajesh,

you can create one website root node in the content section for each user. Then you can set for each user in user section the related start node in content section. If this user log in to umbraco, this user see only his own website root node.

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Sören

Jun 17, 2015 @ 12:55
    Rajesh

Hi Sören,

Thanks for your reply.

That was really helpful and I was able to set like that as you mentioned. But here one issue that I am facing is that I do not want the other users(other than administrator user) to see the rest of the administration section and want the non-admin users to manage only content area of their website. So I want administrator has to create new content site from the list of templates and assign the content website root node to a particular user. Is it possible for me to manage this process (create a content website from templates and assign root node to the user) via program( via coding).
    The basic idea of my project is that each user can create their own index page and set that as a profile in the master website. I hope you got what I am intending to do.

Regards, Rajesh

Jun 17, 2015 @ 13:17
    Sören Deger

Hi Rajesh,

in user section you can deactivate all other sections for the specific non-admin user. Then the non-admin user has only access to the content section.

Of course, you can manage your process via coding. You can use the Umbraco Services, like ContentService and UserService to do this. You can find the documentation here:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Management-v6/Services/

I would create the different website completely in content section and would use this as pattern. Then you can develop a custom dashboard for the content section (https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Extending/Dashboards/) and give access only for admin users. With this custom dashboard the admin user should pick on of your pattern websites and with content service you can copy this pattern website and assign this copied website to the related non-admin user.

Maybe there is a better way to do this, but this should be a possible solution for your requirements.

Hope this helps?

Best, Sören

Jun 18, 2015 @ 12:44
    Rajesh

Hi Sören,

Thanks once again for your reply.

I went through the documentation regarding the contentservice. Little difficult to understand certain functions with out examples. I guess currently there is no samples available.. right?

As you said, templates will be created by the administrator via Umbraco interface after login inside to the dashboard. And also non-admin users will only have access to the content management section( other sections will be disabled. i am planning to create the users with the Content writer previlege)

I am having few questions in relation to my usage.

1) I want to do this contentservice code in an external aspx page. That is, I will be having few external pages(not Umbraco pages) in the site and in one of the external page I will display the templates(i guess we can get the productid to link this) and users can select their own template and that need to assigned as the root node website of that user [we will add this part via code as an administrator, not through the dashboard). Is this possible to do? In other words, in my project, I want to automate the process of select a website as root node for a user(I did not saw the methods for this in API doc). I am doing like this since users has to be given the freedom to select the desired pattern website from the given list of templates. 2) Second point is that, can I automate the user logins via code. That is, if I can pull the login details from the DB in my external page then, is there any API method that will redirect users to the umbraco dashboard of that user(Umbraco dashboard of non-admin users). If I go ahead with such a process, how will that be possible to manage the login session between umbraco and my external page? I noticed in the API documentation that users can be created. So that means I can automate the creation of non-admin users via external aspx page.

Also this API will work for version 7.2.6 as well .. right? I hope that now it is more clear to you and did not confused you. I am thinking like this since, I am already having an external website with lot of functionalities and having lot of members. And, as I said yesterday, these members can create theirown Home pages(profiles) with content management facility. If you still not clear about by requirement, I am ready to explain further, please let me know.

Regards, Rajesh

Jun 18, 2015 @ 13:43
    Sören Deger

Hi Rajesh,

any examples you can found here: http://umbraco.tv/

All this things must be develop by your own. It's not easy to use the contentservice from an external aspx site. You should develop a UmbracoWebApiController for all the stuff do you need. So you can simply call your own Umbraco Api from external site and in this umbraco api you can use all the umbraco services. For user login have a look on the UserService. I think this is the better way, all logic inside umbraco and only request and response between umbraco and external site with umbraco api.

Here you can find the umbraco api documentation: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/WebApi/

Best, Sören

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft