Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joseph 59 posts 140 karma points
    Jun 18, 2015 @ 20:31
    Joseph

Is the backoffice user created when installing Umbraco special in any way?

Recently, while investigating an odd backoffice issue (detailed here) we've found that it might have something to do with the user being used to login being the one that was created when Umbraco was first installed. This was verified by creating a new user with the same administrative permissions, access, etc - logins with this user did not cause the same problems.

Further, we noticed that that first user is the only one who can make any changes to itself; all other users do not see it in the users list in the backoffice regardless of administrative access and permissions granted.

Is it by design that the 'first user' has special characteristics or properties that no other user has? If so, should this user be used by CMS administrators or should it be left alone as a 'system account'?

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 18, 2015 @ 21:27
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

I don't think the first user is created in any special way, but it is true to say that the first user gets the ID of 0, and in umbraco a lot default actions are passed through the 0 user.

I think that's why you can't edit / delete the first user because if you did, some administrative things may not work (for example i think default scheduled tasks runs through 0 user).

so taking user 0 and removing permissions might cause issues, - so i would always say that the user created during install should stay as an admin.

So i would suggest best practice would be to create new accounts for every user on the system and leave the 0 user as an admin, that you tend not to use.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft