Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jim 26 posts 86 karma points
    Jun 19, 2015 @ 08:27
    Jim

Umbraco site backup

Hi

I have just migrated my database from SQL Server CE to full MS SQL Server 2008.

I was previously backing up everything in my site folder. I wasn't sure exactly how much of the site configuration was stored in files and how much in the database. Backing up all files (which conveniently included the SDF file) seemed the simplest way to ensure I could restore the site in the event of a catastrophe.

Clearly I now need to make backups of the new MS SQL Server 2008 database but I'm wondering whether there is a minimum set of files I can back up (eg Media and Views folders) to ensure I have captured everything I need. I don't really want to back up more files than necessary.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

• Maff 141 posts 465 karma points
    Jun 19, 2015 @ 08:43
    Maff

Hi Jim,

If you're not using source control already for your code, then you should set that up straight away - sign up for a free Github account and get your code into there. Instant backups and the ability to roll back changes to previous versions etc!

Once you've done that, then the only data you need to worry about backing up (other than your DB) is your Media folder :)

Thanks,

Maff

• Jim 26 posts 86 karma points
    Jun 19, 2015 @ 09:13
    Jim

Hi Maff

Thanks very much for your reply.

Although the Github source control suggestion is a good one, I think I'd prefer to keep my backups stored locally. So, going back to my original question, is there a definable set of folders/files that I need to back up or do I need everything just to be safe?

Jim

• Daniel Gillett 72 posts 149 karma points
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 18:29
    Daniel Gillett

Hi Jim,

did you manage to make any progress with backing up your site?

I have been starting a project over and over again and now (duh) I think I would like to back up my progress so that I can start over if I need to, without having to re-integrate the static html files etc. ...it takes nearly a full day!

I'd like to be able to try different ideas, methods, packages, etc and when they don't work I want to be able to grab anther copy of my site.

I'm not sure why it should be difficult to just zip my solution folder. Perhaps I just need to use management studio to backup and then detach the database before zipping the solution?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Daniel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft