Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 13:56
    Tony Groome

Publish an Intranet

Hi All

I have just built an intranet - with some help from .Our! Now I need to publish it to our test server. The server is a Sever 2012 machine. How do I go about this?

Thanks. Tony

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 14:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

I take that you have everything running locally and that it's a new Umbraco project - Not something that is made as a part of an already existing website?

If that's the case then initially you should be able to script the database and move the file to the server and then attach it on your live db server.

Then make sure to copy over the files in your Umbraco directory and remember to change the connection string in the web.config afterwards to point to the live database server.

Also make sure to keep in mind if you have made things locally pointing to hardcoded local urls for some reason in config files that these should be changed too for instance.

Then make sure to setup an IIS site and point it to your Umbraco instance and setup the hostname in Umbraco too.

Does this make sense?

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 14:11
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tony,

If you are using the SQLCE database you simply just take all the folders and files an uploaded to the new server, via FTP then when you visit the url on your test server you should see the site.

There are few folders that you can leave on your development environment e.g the AppData/Logs and AppData/Temp, The first time you copy the files to the new server then you can copy the Media folder too. But in the future donĀ“t copy this over, then you will override the media library.

If you are using MSSQL server then I would following these steps. First take a backup of your database. After you have take the backup installed into the new test server SQL, and the copy over the files via FTP.

The last thing you need to do is to change the connections string in web.config file so it point to the new database on the new test server.

Hope this helps and make sense,

/Dennis

Jun 22, 2015 @ 14:33
    Tony Groome

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I haven't a clue how to do this at all. What I did was, I copied the whole project into the server, right clicked it and ran it through webmatrix. (!) It runs! So then I tried to publish it from my machine but I don't know how to fill in the form:

The form!

Yes it is a new project and yes it is using the SQLCE database. I couldn't find anything on umbraco.tv either. This is all new.

Thanks. Tony

Jun 22, 2015 @ 14:55
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tony,

Since you are using the SQLCE database I would first download a FTP program like FileZilla https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client and then connect to the new server, and then it just upload the files

Hope this helps

/Dennis

Jun 22, 2015 @ 15:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Ah yes, if you're using CE SQL then you can just copy over the site.

You can download FileZilla as Dennis suggests above but you should actually also be able to enter the same details in the dialogue in Webmatrix.

But are you uploading the intranet to a server running a shared hosting solution? Or do you have a dedicated server?

You should have received some information about how to log onto the server whether it's the one or the other.

These details should be possible to enter in the dialogue above - And you can always use the "Validate connection" button to see if the details entered are correct.

Hope this helps a bit.

/Jan

Jun 22, 2015 @ 15:43
    Tony Groome

I did that already and it runs in the server when I connect to it using remote desktop connection. I just need to make it visible for everybody else as their homepage in their browsers. Yes Filezilla did seem to ask the same questions as webmatrix all right!

Tony

Jun 23, 2015 @ 05:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Ok, so you have actually succesfully copied over your local solution to your server?

Then you need to assign a hostname to the root node (frontpage node) in your umbraco site on the server so everyone can access it - I assume that one needs to login before the content is accessible? Perhaps you also need to setup some IP restrictions so it's only those who visit the site from the company's IP range that will ever see the login screen.

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Jun 23, 2015 @ 07:13
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

You are an early bird! That's exactly what I was thinking. Our IT manager is coming today, so I will land this on him. I'll post a result later.

Jul 08, 2015 @ 13:18
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

Sorry I'm only getting back to you now, nothing happened! We had another bigger project to sort out first, so now it's back to the intranet.

On the server (MS Server 2012) we have IIS 8 and Web Deploy 3.5. I just need to get the intranet published, it will be only visible to clients in our company. There will be a section where you login, but that will come later. The main site will be visible for everybody. Only one problem, I have't a clue how to do this! I have found the project in IIS Manager, and can click on "Browse intranet on *:80" but "This Page Can't be Displayed".

Any ideas? Thanks. Tony

Jul 08, 2015 @ 13:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Life happens :)

Have you setup a website in IIS and pointed it to your directory where Umbraco is? And have you made sure to add the hostname in Umbraco too? And has the DNS been setup for the site internally?

/Jan

Jul 08, 2015 @ 13:24
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

Sorry I don't understand any of that! This is uphill! It's my first publish.

Thanks. Tony

Jul 08, 2015 @ 13:45
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

Does this help? enter image description here

As I was filling in the form with the Server, Username, Password, Site Name (Here I just gave is a name), Destination URL(Here I gave it a url) I was thinking how will it know it's name and url, just because I filled in a form. So maybe the DNS hasn't been set yet. That I don't know how to do.... It's all a learning curve, pity the angles are 90 degrees!!

Tony

Jul 08, 2015 @ 16:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

What is setup in the "Bindings" part if you have a look under the "Actions" to the right?

/Jan

Jul 09, 2015 @ 07:57
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

OK The bindings are:

enter image description here

and the physical connection is: enter image description here

I think I got dns working from a youtube video! Or maybe that should be a training manual!!

Thanks. Tony

Jul 09, 2015 @ 07:58
    Tony Groome

Sorry to clarify the physical path is pointing to the folder which contains the project, I'm not convinced this is right, but don't know where else to point it!

Thanks Tony

Jul 09, 2015 @ 09:44
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tony,

If you right click on the home node in the Umbraco backoffice and click culture and hostnames did you add the domain in there, as Jan mentions.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jul 09, 2015 @ 11:10
    Tony Groome

Hi Dennis

Thanks for that. At least I now know that's sorted. :)

Over on the server I am getting this....enter image description here

when I try to test settings.

Thanks. Tony

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 19:35
    Dan Diplo

I wouldn't worry about the "cannot verify access to path" message, as I always get this with IIS but sites work fine. Think it's a red-herring.

Sounds to me like you need some kind of DNS so when someone enters www.hpc-intranet.com that this is bound to the IP address of your server. In the meantime you could try editing your hosts file (on your local PC) and then add in:

123.45.67.9 www.hpc-intranet.com

(replacing the IP with your server IP address).

That way you can access it without DNS.

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 11:36
    Tom Madden

Tony,

that looks like it might be permissions, see if this page helps https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

t

Jul 09, 2015 @ 11:53
    Tony Groome

Thanks Tom, changed them, but no joy.... I'm sure I've set something wrong, but what and where??! It's my first.....

Tony

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 13:00
    Tom Madden

Out of interest what user did you add? afaik iis_iusrs is if the Application pool runs as 'AppPoolIdentity' but some setups have it running under a different user, sometimes 'Network Service' so you have to give permissions for that user instead.

technically this isn't an Umbraco issue more an IIS and permissions one so worth widening any searches and not limiting it to Umbraco

HTH

t

Jul 09, 2015 @ 13:33
    Tony Groome

Hi Tom

I set iis_users to all, where it would allow me. :) I think if I widen my searches anymore the current news will come up!! Must keep plodding on....

Thanks. Tony

Jul 10, 2015 @ 09:19
    Tony Groome

Hi All

Thanks for that Dan. I put the intranet into the host file and can now ping it, but I'm getting a 500 error now!

Any ideas why?

One step forward.....! :)

Thanks. Tony

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 10, 2015 @ 19:30
    Dan Diplo

Check the Umbraco tracelog file for what the error might be. You can find these in /App_Data/Logs/ - or you can use my handy Log Viewer package :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft