Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John French 32 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 22, 2015 @ 23:31
    John French

Localize backend

Hi,

I'm trying to change the language of the backoffice of umbraco 7. I want to be able to change the language of the document type properties. In previous versions, I used to be able to name the property e.g #title and then add a dictionary item for the language that matched the logged in user. However, this doesn't seem to work anymore in the new version of umbraco. Furthermore, I would actually prefer a solution that took the language from the culture setting that I could set myself, rather then taking the language of the logged in user. Has anyone got any experience or insight into this?

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 23, 2015 @ 08:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

Yes this used to be working in versions prior to version 7.

I have not been testing this myself in 7.2 though so I don't know if it's something that has been added back in. - What exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using currently? If it's lower than 7.2.x then it might be an idea to try and see if it works in a clean installation of 7.2?

I don't see how matching the language with the system culture settings rather than the logged in culture settings would be a good idea - I personally don't like that approach since I'm then forced to look at a UI translated into danish...I very very much prefer english in the UI since there are so many words that don't make sense in danish / bad translations.

Just my point of view about it - But I suppose it might be possible to have a look at the culture settings in the web.config file maybe? Don't know what it would take to override Umbraco's logic though.

/Jan

• John French 32 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 23, 2015 @ 09:33
    John French

Hi Jan,

Actually I got it working using the dictionary items as it was working in previous versions

• some the languages are not supported in this feature - and the language I wanted was one of them (Chinese) - I ended up having to "hack" it slightly by changing my Chinese config lang file to the danish culture setting

then adding danish as a language and adding the Chinese translations against the danish language .. it works so the language is changed to the logged in user which is fine - I would have liked to find someway to change the global language in the web.config but that's not a real problem.

Thanks anyway for your reply

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft