Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 442 posts 1035 karma points
    Jun 23, 2015 @ 15:07
    Ayo Adesina

Advice Please: Create Custom Section OR Just use the content tree

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice....

The website is for a small courier company, users go to the front of the website enter a 'Tracking Number' and they get a status message.

The website owner needs to update and add the status via Umbraco. This would be very easy to do by creating a folder in the content tree, using the Id as a tracking number...bla bla bla.

However, this is not really how I should be using umbraco and I'm thinking I should create a custom section that talks to custom database tables totally separate from umbraco, but for such simple functionality is it really worth it?

I have 2 questions

1. How may nodes can you put under a folder before Umbraco falls over? ( could it handle 2000)

1a) Is it possible to limit the number of node children? That way I could force them to delete old ones before they add new ones)

1. If I do deciced to do it 'Properly' how much of a learning curve would it be to create a new section in Umbraco (this would be the first one for me) it will just have 1 maybe 2 forms for CRUDing some data, I have had a quick look in to how to create a custom section, looks like you need to know a bit of angular JS (which I don't)

Your thoughts please???

Even if its to tell me its a crap idea and I should give up my day job :-)

Thanks Ayo

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Jun 23, 2015 @ 15:13
    Jamie Pollock

Hi Ayo,
    You could consider using a list view which allows you to filter the nodes under a parent node. I've had mixed results in searching with this system however. The list view is paged too and limited to 20 or so results so an author will never have to deal with a load of results. List View can be customised too if you need something a bit different from the standard List View Content.

As for doing a custom section I'd recommend looking at Nibble's tutorial. It's getting on a bit now but the logic still stands today for the most part.

I hope this helps, mate. :)

Thanks,
    Jamie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft