Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ken Sykora 17 posts 53 karma points
    Jun 29, 2015 @ 13:51
    Ken Sykora

301 Redirect Tracker & Default.aspx default page

I'm running into an interesting scenario where the Default.aspx hompage is causing conflicts with the 301 url tracker package:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/301-url-tracker

My specific scenario is this. My client has a lot of legacy URLs that we wish to forward, such as /Default.aspx?tabid=58. However, when I setup an entry in 301 url tracker for Default.aspx (querystring tabid=58) and hit the URL /Default.aspx?tabid=58, it just goes to the homepage. Presumably this is due to Default.aspx being a globally accepted default URL, which normally is fine, however in this circumstance I really need it to redirect.

Some things I've tried:

• Tried adding the property umbracoUrlName and renaming the homepage to index -- confirmed the homepage still works when I hit / and /index, but still responds with homepage on /Default.aspx?tabid=58
    • Tried renaming the physical file Default.aspx in the site root to index.aspx, no difference in behavior at all
    • Added ~/Default.aspx to the umbracoReservedUrls in web.config, but simply responds with a 404
    • Tried renaming the URL in the 301 entry to /Default2.aspx?tabid=58 and confirmed correct behavior to redirect

So, basically what I need to do is somehow get Umbraco to have it forget completely about the fact that Default.aspx should link to the homepage, and allow URL Tracker to do it's job. Does anyone know how to accomplish this or have any other suggestions that I could work around this issue?

I have considered putting in IIS Url Rewrite rules for this specific scenario and having us put in redirects for a slightly different URL, but that seems like a heavy handed workaround and I would rather address the issue at it's root cause.

Appreciate any assistance you can offer!

• Ken Sykora 17 posts 53 karma points
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 13:33
    Ken Sykora

I found the answer to my own question: There is a checkbox in each 301 redirect entry that says "Force Redirect" -- I enabled it for entries like these and everything started working.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft