Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raghav 34 posts 103 karma points
    Jul 02, 2015 @ 10:50
    Raghav

Image Cropper and Media Library

Hi, Is there a way that I can use the Image Cropper while uploading images to media. This would help organise things better (if we have multiple images to crop for each content item ) and also would enable me to just select media items while populating content. Currently the ImageCropper allows to do direct upload and the image file is created but cant be viewed in the media section of umbraco.

Regards Raghav

• Jon 38 posts 157 karma points
    Jun 17, 2016 @ 15:08
    Jon

Big bump for this post as I can't find an answer to this and wanted to post exactly this question too.

I don't understand why the Image Cropper is direct upload - it's awful that way.

When one of my content editors wants to find one of the images on our site uploaded via the image cropper - guess what? They can't. Because people don't bother or forget to upload to the image to the media library too.

Does anyone have a work around?

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Jun 17, 2016 @ 23:19
    Nathan Woulfe

Our approach to this has been to disable uploading media from anywhere other than the media section. Might be an option worth considering?

Jun 18, 2016 @ 16:11
    Jon

But how does that tie in with the media cropper functionality? Or do you not use that?

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Jun 18, 2016 @ 23:12
    Nathan Woulfe

We don't use it at the moment.

You could modify the cropper editor to not allow uploads, and force selection from the media gallery - either a bit of backoffice CSS to hide the upload controls, or an AngularJs interceptor to replace the editor view with your own.

• Michael 24 posts 137 karma points
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 07:54
    Michael

We use the same approach. Only upload in the media section.

On the image media type we then change the upload to our image cropper.

Jun 19, 2016 @ 09:09
    Jon

"On the image media type we then change the upload to our image cropper."

What exactly do you mean by that?

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying.

I want to be able to use the image cropper in my document types. I want to be able to define the crops at the document type level, not at the media level. If I had all my crops in the media library I'd end up with a lot of crops there...

It's really tragic that Umbraco doesn't offer this very simple functionality. The folks that make Umbraco must have never made a single website in their lives. Maybe I've just been spoilt by proper CMSs.

• Michael 24 posts 137 karma points
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 11:06
    Michael

I just mean that on the settings section > media types > image we change the upload data type to the image cropper data type we define in the developer section. On that data type we have all of our crops defined.

The docs can be found here: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/backoffice/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/image-cropper

We have never had the need for an image cropper on our doctypes. So don't really know how one would go about doing crop defining there, or if it's possible.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft