Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jim 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jul 13, 2015 @ 12:49
    Jim

RTE - Can't create external links

I want to add some links to external content.

When I click the link icon in the ribbon I get a dialog that doesn't allow me to link to external content - it just allows me to navigate to site content (see screenshot)enter image description here

Even when I select an internal page it doesn't work - no link is created in the html. Really can't work out what's going on here - any help would be appreciated.

Jul 13, 2015 @ 15:31
    Jim

Looking through some of the threads on this forum it looks as though this isn't possible without jumping through a load of hoops - e.g. using the related links control or some 3rd party component.

I can't believe this isn't available out of the box - I'd have thought creating hyperlinks to external sites would be one of the most common activities performed by a content editor.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jul 13, 2015 @ 15:46
    Amir Khan

Hi Jim, are you not getting the fields above the search in the dialog?

Link to Document, Page Title, etc.

Also how are you rendering the RTE in your template?

-Amir

Jul 13, 2015 @ 19:37
    Jim

Hi Amir,

There are no other fields above Search - the screenshot is exactly as I see it.

I'm using a grid layout & I'm just adding the RTE by clicking the + icon in the designer.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jul 13, 2015 @ 19:47
    Amir Khan

That's really strange.

You're clicking on this icon to create the link while you have some text selected correct?

enter image description here

And this is the dialog you should see. It is possible you don't have the link button enabled in the developer section under your grid datatype? Link functionality has been built into the RTE for Umbraco for as long as I can remember...

enter image description here

Jul 13, 2015 @ 19:55
    Jim

Yes - I have it enabled in the data type definition and I do exactly as you say but there are no other fields appearing above search. I've tried in other browsers but get exactly the same result.

Jul 13, 2015 @ 20:41
    Jim

Found out what the problem was.

I checked the console in IE debug tools and there was an error saying that template must have a root element.

Checked all the html templates & umb-pane.html was empty.

Some while ago I noticed that some of my umbraco files were getting corrupted - all the content was getting deleted. Don't know if this was a virus because nothing else was affected.

I've restored the original & it works ok now.

Thanks for your help Amir.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft