Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pantryfight 60 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 04:58
    pantryfight

Multiple sites in one instance, or 2 seperate instances?

Hi folks, I've built one website for a client using Umbraco 7.2.6 and now I have been signed on to build a second website for a different part of their business.

At first I was thinking that I would host both of the sites within the same Umbraco instance but now I am not too sure.

While it seems to be quite easy to create 2 content trees and assign them different domain names, this seems to assume that the multiple site's are using the same (or similar) document types, and similar templates. What I'm not seeing is an easy and/or sensible way to manage different document types for each site.

While I'm still waiting for the full details it's looking like while they may share some similarities, my 2 sites may require quite different document types. How would be the best way to manage this in a multi-site Umbraco implementation.

On a similar note, the site's code (templates, models, controllers etc) would need to both be handled within the same project.

Is there a clean way of doing managing any of this, or am I going beyond what Umbraco's mult-site capabilities were designed for?

• Jeroen Wijdeven 31 posts 72 karma points MVP
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 07:02
    Jeroen Wijdeven

The main benefit of using one instance for multiple sites is you can reuse your documenttypes, datatypes (and sometimes templates). This is not only an Umbraco specific way of working but this is also the case when using another CMS.

However if you still want to go for a multiple site solution. In think in your situation the way to go is to create a base documenttype for each site.

Not sure if you already know this: But you can also use more than one template for the same documenttype. When using this you can reuse documenttypes but use different templates for each domain. This is how:

• Go to a documenttype of choice
    • Be sure you are on the "Info" tab
    • Select the "Allowed Templates"

When you are in your content tree - Go to your content item of choice - Be sure you are on the "Properties" tab - Select the "Template" from the dropdown.

• pantryfight 60 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 23:37
    pantryfight

Thanks for the clarification! I knew you can change the template easy enough although I would prefer that the client doesn't need to do that as they're not the most technically minded.

Also, their requirements are extremely loose and will likely continue to chang eslightly throughout the project. Doctype requirements that are quite similar to the first site now will likely end up quite different by the end of the projects.

With all that in mind I think I might be best off with a separate instance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft