Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryios 122 posts 263 karma points
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 21:45
    Ryios

Umbraco [How To] Contributions

Over time I have acquired a wealth of knowledge on developing a website on umbraco, many complex topics I haven't really seen documented anywhere.

-Using Packages, vs using Nuget Packages -Using external authentication sources like WIF, OAuth, NTLM, etc etc -Developing custom pre value editors for property editors. -Serving views to a Route Hijacked document type from outside of the Views folder (like a database, or App_Plugins\XYZ\Views -Using Razor Views for Property Editor Views via a Surface Controller -Merging back office and front end operations -and on and on and on...

I also have a wealth of information on setting up a project in Visual Studio with source control support and MSDeploy support with Web.Config transformations.

So my question is, is there a public umbraco blog where developers can contribute tutorial content to?

Or should I roll my own?

I was thinking of building a website just for this on Umbraco.Ninja, but .ninja, .guru, and .expert are taken so either Umbraco itself is working on this, or someone else had the same idea.

Basically I want to blog How-To articles soon just to beef up my portfolio and help other people, but I don't want to isolate it if there is a preferred place to do this already.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 22:14
    Nicholas Westby

You could do that in the documentation: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/

It is open source, so you can submit pull requests. Note the "Edit" button on each page:

Edit Button

If you click that, you'll be sent to the appropriate place in the GitHub repo: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco4Docs/tree/v7-documentation

The README indicates this:

The scope of this project is to provide overviews of concepts, tutorials, example code, and links to API reference.

Note that it mentions tutorials, which it sounds like are what you want to do. Keep in mind that it's not exactly a blog, so your name wouldn't be highlighted (aside from on the commit), but this is the main place to add this type of documentation. You could always create your own website and link to tutorials you've created in the official documentation.

Jul 15, 2015 @ 22:38
    Ryios

Oh wow, good to know, thanks for the information!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 16, 2015 @ 08:18
    Sebastiaan Janssen

While we love contributions to the documentation, "how to do deployments" is usually a highly subjective topic. So reviewing a pull request for that would probably take a long time and is not something we have a lot of time for at the moment. So I would highly recommend you start a blog first so that the content is out there. And if you let us know about it we can consider it for inclusion in the documentation!

Also, while I applaud the enthusiasm please note that Umbraco is a trademarked name so please don't buy any domains that may infringe on that. So an Umbraco.* domain just makes it look like you're speaking for the company and we'd have to ask you to shut it down, not because be want to but because trademark law works that way unfortunately.

Keep up the good work, spread the love and please do share your knowledge! Post back here when you have something up and running!

Jul 16, 2015 @ 14:03
    Ryios

I'm a past SharePoint developer and I remember a site I used a lot developing on SharePoint called SharePointBlues.com.

I kind of want to do something like that where eventually there could be a bunch of developers contributing to it.

So would a domain with the word Umbraco in it still be trademarked, or only when it's by itself?

For example,

UmbracoRocks.com or UmbracoNinjas.com, etc etc?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 16, 2015 @ 16:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yeah, it's fine to use it in a combination of words! I would love UmbracoRocks :-)
    The line is decidedly fuzzy though, UmbracoHQ.com would not be good for example.

I just remembered that recently http://skrift.io has launched, they are a bunch of great people absolutely eager to have you contribute, make sure to get in touch with them!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft