Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Jul 17, 2015 @ 09:46
    Jason Espin

Disable media picker upload button or change default media type

Hi all,

I have a query regarding the media picker / multiple media picker in Umbraco. Is there any way in which I can disable the Upload button that appears when a user goes to select a piece of media?

The reason I ask this is I have a folder that is supposed to contain a custom media type however the default behaviour of the media picker allows normal images to be added to this folder via the upload button which is incredibly annoying and should not be the case as I have already specified in my media types that this folder can only have children of type 'slide'.

This is the button I am talking about:

enter image description here

I did think about doing it in CSS however I wasn't sure whether this would affect other upload buttons across the back office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Jul 17, 2015 @ 10:37
    Jamie Pollock

Hi Jason,
    I don't believe this functionality (specifically the disable Upload button) is in the core.

It feels like an option which should be added in at data type configuration level or if a user has access to the media or not.

I suggest raising a feature ticket on the Umbraco issue tracker for future releases. At this point though the only way to go would be a custom data type & dialog.

Thanks,
    Jamie

• Dan White 206 posts 510 karma points c-trib
    Nov 29, 2016 @ 06:04
    Dan White

Jason,

Did you ever solve this? I'm trying to do the same.

• David Amri 214 posts 740 karma points
    Dec 08, 2016 @ 07:38
    David Amri

Same here, did you ever get this to work?

I feel like the media management is somewhat overlooked.

As you mentioned, "I have a folder that is supposed to contain a custom media type however the default behaviour of the media picker allows normal images to be added to this folder via the upload button".

The above statement is also true when using the upload button or drag n drop function inside of the folder in Media section. The folder is set to only accept a custom image media type but this is of course ignored...

How are these media settings intended to be used? My experience is that much of these settings regarding media management gets useless later down the line.

Cheers

• Marrix 24 posts 156 karma points
    Oct 27, 2017 @ 11:59
    Marrix

Same here ... I need to disable upload button so users only can pick images from the Media folder. Is it possible ... now?

• David Parr 48 posts 206 karma points
    Oct 27, 2017 @ 12:39
    David Parr

I'm not aware of anything configurable. It is far from ideal but you could create a new property editor based upon the existing mediapicker that has an additional configurable option to 'hide upload button'.

The existing mediapicker property editor can be found at: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/tree/0dfbb95033c68c6059664eaab0d9ac8f495f877f/src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client/src/views/propertyeditors/mediapicker

A tutorial regarding property editors https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Tutorials/creating-a-property-editor/

Essentially, you are mostly copying the existing property editor into a newly created one and adding one new configurable option. Make sure to name that "MySite Media Picker" or such and use it where necessary.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft