Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damon 217 posts 287 karma points
    Jul 22, 2015 @ 16:07
    Damon

Most viewed page - any way to get this data?

Hi,

I want to display a list of most view links.

Can this be done in Umbraco 7 easily? I assume it would involve some type of counter.

I saw stuff stuff using xslt but I don't think it xslt is used in V7 is it? Or can it be?

Thanks a lot!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 23, 2015 @ 07:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Google Analytics was made for this. :)

There's a package for Umbraco to be able to view your analytics results from withing the backoffice of Umbraco - https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/analytics/

Also: we've seen people update a counter on each document. If you run into a solution like that: please don't use it. It is very bad for the performance of your site.

• Anders Brohus 194 posts 475 karma points
    Sep 17, 2015 @ 06:58
    Anders Brohus

I also got a request like this.. But it's because i need a list on the frontend where the user can see whats read the most, by other users :)

And i can't see how i can use Google Analytics for this?

Sep 17, 2015 @ 07:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just do not update content for this. You could also create a table that tracks the view count for each nodeId and update/query that one.

I can not be more insistent about this: don't publish a page on each request to it, it is horrible for performance and will break your site in the long run. Trust me, I did the same thing on this very site, our.umbraco.org and it broke, badly, took me a long time to dig out from that :-)

• Anders Brohus 194 posts 475 karma points
    Sep 17, 2015 @ 07:42
    Anders Brohus

Heh okay, i won't make it publish the page on each request.. :)

But i don't think if the table that keeps track of the view counter is a good thing to do because all the updates that has to be done if like 100 people visit the site at once?

Sep 17, 2015 @ 09:04
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Either you do 100 queries for those 100 visitors into your own tiny little table or you publish a page in Umbraco spawning hundreds of update queries with much more data. You choose. ;-)

• Tom Steer 161 posts 596 karma points
    Sep 17, 2015 @ 08:06
    Tom Steer

Could you maybe use the reporting Google Analytics API to query for this kind of data?

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/v3/coreDevguide

• Matthieu Nelmes 102 posts 385 karma points
    Sep 17, 2015 @ 12:22
    Matthieu Nelmes

I'm working on a project with the keen.IO API.

If I manage to get around to putting it into a package I'll update everyone.

I like having the flexibility to determine exactly what events I want to track (server-side and client-side) and how the data is modeled.

Keen.IO deal with the data storage and they also provide a hand javascript library to visualise the data in graphs and charts.

• Osman Coskun 164 posts 398 karma points
    Nov 22, 2016 @ 09:43
    Osman Coskun

Hello, I need to display most viewed pages on a news portal. Can anyone suggest how to make it?

• Dominik Merkle 9 posts 41 karma points
    Nov 22, 2016 @ 10:26
    Dominik Merkle

A simple instruction:

• create a table with two column (nodeid, views)
    • create an controller with two functions (raiseViews, getTopNodes)
    • call raiseViews on each page view and raise the counter for the node id in the table
    • set an cookie to check if the user is back again
    • call getTopNodes to show the most viewed page on your site, note that you get the id's of the pages

I hope this helps you

• Paul 184 posts 646 karma points
    Apr 24, 2017 @ 14:24
    Paul

Is this still the best way to achieve a front end displayed list of most popular pages?

• Dominik Merkle 9 posts 41 karma points
    Apr 25, 2017 @ 11:36
    Dominik Merkle

It is an easy and a good way for me. But it is possible that there is a better way.

• Osman Coskun 164 posts 398 karma points
    Nov 22, 2016 @ 10:57
    Osman Coskun

Thanks for the tip. I'll try.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft