Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Blake Watt (Clerke) 106 posts 351 karma points MVP
    Jul 22, 2015 @ 21:29
    Blake Watt (Clerke)

Upgrading Nested Content Package and Items Disappear in Umbraco Content Tree

Basic information: Using Nested Content package in Umbraco 7.2.6.

Package was working just fine. I reinstalled the Nested Content package in order to upgrade to 0.2.0. After successful installation, checked the Nested DataTypes that I had created to make sure settings were still there.

NOTE: I did have to clear my cache using Google Chrome because it initially still displayed the older prevalues setup for the data types.

Example: Nested Banner Images DataType - Document Type: Nested Banner Images - Tab Alias: content - Name Template: {{name}} - Min Items: 1, Max Items: 0, Confirm Deletes, Show Icons

Settings looked good / remained the same so I clicked Save just in case. I checked the Document Type "Nested Banner Images" and it still has all the properties on the content tab.

At this point, the homepage still loads with all the data in the nested content items appearing as it should.

When I got to the homepage in the content section, I click on an item and the item displays blank. None of the fields show up, it is just an empty area.

enter image description here

There are no js errors that I can see on the front-end. At this point when I click Save and Publish in Umbraco my homepage fails, YSOD. This is caused from my code not checking if the value is null, I just loop through them (that is on me). I'd like to work on one issue at a time though, first being the properties disappearing from Umbraco.

Any help is appreciated, I'd really like to use the spiffy new features of this package on this site I'm building.

If there are any more details I can provide, please let me know! I'm trying to narrow down the issue myself as well.

Thank you bunches!

Jul 22, 2015 @ 21:38
    Blake Watt (Clerke)

UPDATE: I just wanted to check that I had the proper alias for the tab in the data type prevalues (as suggested by Lee & James). It worked previously with "content" but I removed content all together and I got the items to appear! YAY! I also tried "Content" and the items still appeared.

Step in the right direction! I did lose my content but I have a backup and I'm willing to bet that if I restore from my backup and then do the upgrade again and make sure the content tab alias is named properly before I save and publish the homepage that all will work. I'm going to try this and then come back.

Jul 22, 2015 @ 22:15
    Blake Watt (Clerke)

For those who may come across this in the future, the fix.

I restored my site from the backup I had before the package upgrade, upgraded the package, and then I checked the data types prevalues. I just completely removed the tab alias and saved the data types.

I went back to my content and things were appearing as they should and I hit save and publish and my homepage works as intended and I have the spiffy new features!

Thank you bunches Lee for your help via Twitter. I hope this thread serves as a note to anyone in the future having a blonde moment like myself.

Just to note - Essentially I believe the issue I ran into was the tab alias. In the previous version I had "content" which worked fine, and after the upgrade it no longer worked and "Content" worked instead (also removing the tab alias all together worked).

This is how we learn :)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 23, 2015 @ 05:49
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Blake,

Thanks for reporting this... and happy to hear that you got there in the end, (without any data loss!)

With the doctype tab alias, we should do a case-insensitive check... so that's a bug for us.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft