Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AmandaEly 123 posts 379 karma points
    Jul 24, 2015 @ 15:24
    AmandaEly

Which is the best way to list things that don't need names?

Hi, I am working on a local runners site. That means I record a lot of race details. I think the best way to convert the old style of a flat file with a separate row for every single result is to create an umbraco doctype instance for each race and then hang a list of results off that. I'm sure you'll agree. So at first I created a PetaPoco table of results with ids of race event, member runner and so on. This is unsatisfactory for various reasons:

1) Sooner or later, when querying the data you get a ysod telling you that you have more than one DataReader open. I solved that with the rather evil MultipleResultsetsActive as I didn't manage to cure it by programmatic means. 2) It will be easier for my users (I think) if I can use an Umbraco doctype for result. I can make it faster with Examine Indexes and I can make a nice dashboard for entered results.

In the middle of shifting over my data to the new doctype, I suddenly realise that a race result doesn't have a name. It is connected to a runner and a race but it makes very little sense for what is essentially just a table row to have a name of its own.

Any suggestions how I could either make better use of the PetaPoco thing when querying the database and also make a nice dashboard Or if I can create a doctype instance with no name?

• AmandaEly 123 posts 379 karma points
    Jul 24, 2015 @ 17:36
    AmandaEly

Well, I have decided to use Runner name as the name. There will be a lot of repetition but not within sets of children.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft