Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason 92 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 18:37
    Jason

Multiple Umbraco installations as subdomains

Hello, I'm trying to host multiple Umbraco versions on one server via a hosting company.

Lets say www.site.com is at root level, and this will be my main website. This website is built with Umbraco 6.4 say, as it uses packages only supported up to that version.

For this reason, I want my subdomains to sit completely separate to www.site.com's Umbraco. Eg sub.site.com runs umbraco 7.3 with a brand new package only supported from 7.3 and onwards.

The ftp server structure would be as follows:

Root
      wwwroot (contains www.site.com)
          App_Data(site.com)
          css(site.com)
          etc(site.com)
          subdomainwebsite (www.sub.site.com)
              App_Data(sub.site.com)
              css(sub.site.com...)
              etc(sub.site.com...)
          more files(mysite.com)
          Web.config(mysite.com)

When I tried this setup, my www.site.com ran perfectly fine. My www.sub.site.com yellow screened, and despite changing the Web.config (at both levels) to display error details, the change had no effect.

This leads me to believe that the above structure is not feasible.

Any of you guys found an alternative? I did think about separating each site into a separate folder in wwwroot, but I'm concerned about plumbing these all up afterwards, plus, I don't want any weired routing issues or urls.

Thanks

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 19:33
    Simon Justesen

It is certainly possible to have multiple Umbraco instances as subdomains. But it depends on the hosting setup (permissions etc.) if you're on a shared host. You need to create folders outside your wwwroot, and then point your subdomains to those new folders (subdomain root folders)

so the setup will be like this:

/subdomain1

/subdomain2

/wwwroot

/subdomain3

Jul 28, 2015 @ 21:47
    Jason

Thanks Simon, without affecting routing and url appearance, how would you go about pointing to the subdomain folders? thanks

• Ken Schnell 35 posts 147 karma points
    Aug 25, 2020 @ 19:54
    Ken Schnell

I am trying to do exactly this in Version 8.6.3 (all sites will be tied to the same database) and they will be exactly the same - except the landing page will need to be subdomain page. I have in Umbraco MainHome [Separate IIS VirtualDirectory & APP] SubDomain1 [Separate IIS VirtualDirectory & APP] SubDomain2 [Separate IIS VirtualDirectory & APP]

When the visitor browses to Mysite.domain I want them to land at MainHome. I want the visitor to be able to go to SubDomain1.MySite.domain and land at SubDomain1.MySite.domain

How can I achieve this in Umbraco ? Should I simply copy the files into each folder and set each up as a separate app in IIS and then what do I need to do in my Umbraco Configuration to make it work ?

I know someone one will ask why do that .. Answer: Because I have been told I will do it that way..

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:14
    Amir Khan

No need to create separate sites in IIS, just create new nodes and right-click on them > culture and hostnames and assign the new domain / subdomain.

Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:38
    Ken Schnell

Thank you for your quick response..

I am not understanding the terminology create a new Node,

In IIS ; I can Add Website and Under Website , I can Add Application.

I need the subdomain apps to be in separate folders - the head of the company wants separate folders for the sub domains .. whether it is better not to , normal not to, easier not to .. I don't get that choice - I have been told.

Aug 25, 2020 @ 20:39
    Amir Khan

Ah got it, I've never gone that route. Node = Page in the CMS.

Aug 25, 2020 @ 21:00
    Ken Schnell

Now I understand the Nodes - you're referring to in Umbraco. culture and hostnames and assign the new domain / subdomain.

I am wondering if I can do that and simply copy the website files into the other folders and start those sites up - so I can satisfy the requirement.

I know it is added step but I am being forced to do it.

Aug 25, 2020 @ 21:03
    Amir Khan

It should work, but yes definitely an extra step and you'll have to find a way to sync up media and such between the sites. You might want to give the uSync package a look for that.

It could get messy, but I've never done it before so not sure.

• Simon Justesen 74 posts 193 karma points
    Jul 29, 2015 @ 01:21
    Simon Justesen

You shouldn't encounter any problems with routing or url appearance, umbraco treats your subdomains as if the files and paths were located inside wwwroot, but do test it thoroughly to avoid surprises, server setups can be tricky at times.

I use a similar setup when I develop sites for my clients (on a shared host)

HTH,

Simon

Aug 01, 2015 @ 18:27
    Jason

Many thanks Simon, and apologies for the late response.

How would you recommend pointing traffic to the relevant sites? htaccess perhaps?

Thanks once again

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft