Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ibrahim Abdulhussein 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 05, 2015 @ 22:09
    Ibrahim Abdulhussein

Umbraco Performance in Large scale data sites

Hello Everybody

I'm working on a news portal with a heavy updates (100 entry every day). So

1. Does Umbraco a right choice to do it?
    2. What will happen if the content entries reached 100,000?
    3. Is there any best parctices to do that?
    4. Is there any way to deal with tags i a multi-langauage website? GetTagsByCulture() for inestance.
  • Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 07:56
    Ismail Mayat

Ibrahim,

We have multilingual site on v6.1.6 it has 50 language instances and roughly 9000 nodes in total so maybe about 150 nodes per instance.

The tree takes a bit of time to load. Main thing is the more properties you have the more of an impact on performance. This is for 6.1.6 v7 performance has improved alot including loading of tree.

Regards

Ismail

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 08:09
    Tim

Hiya,

I've got a couple of old v4/6 sites that happily handle 100,000+ nodes in terms of serving up content to the users. As Ismail says, the tree may be slow to load, depending on how you have structured your site. Other than that, we haven't really had any problems with it.

One other thing to note, you may need to make sure your content queries are optimised, as performing very greedy lookups (e.g. all nodes of type X from anywhere on the site) may be slow on a content set of that size. Try and make the queries as specific as possible to keep things snappy.

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 15:16
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

I think the question is whether you need to edit these nodes from the Umbraco-backend or they just get imported and have to be shown on your site.

If you import in Umbraco there will be at least one table-record per datatype per version of the node-instance. So let's say you have 12 datatypes and you save and publish a lot of times then you will add minimal 12 rows each time and eventually that can do something to the performance. Of course there are also ways to clean up older versions (so you only store the last five versions for example)

If you're not editing the news from the backend you could consider just storing these articles in a custom table and map your code to that (and do smart caching and stuff).

So I think it depends on the use.

I have made different websites with > 10,000 nodes and never had really performance issues, that couldn't be solved. But as I said it depends on a lot of factors.

If you got more information, we could think about the best strategy,

Regards, Jeffrey

• Ibrahim Abdulhussein 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 06, 2015 @ 20:52
    Ibrahim Abdulhussein

Thank you guys for the feedback.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft