Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Aug 08, 2015 @ 16:27
    Arie

Packages - how to check for updates?

Is there a way to check whether updates are available for packages in v7?

It seems that the only way is to visit each package page on our.umbraco.org individually and manually compare it to the installed version of each package.

Did I overlook something or is does Umbraco indeed lack the ability to check for package updates?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Aug 08, 2015 @ 20:41
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Arie,

There is no way to check whether updates are available for packages in v7 as far as I know, so what you can do is following the creator of the packages e.g on Twitter.

I think they will make a tweet when there is a new version of their packages available. We do a tweet every time we release a new Umbraco version.

/Dennis

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Aug 08, 2015 @ 21:54
    Arie

That would seem to be a rather significant shortcoming. Not only is it cumbersome to track down packages that have been updated, but if there's a security problem with an installed package the site owner/admin would not readily know this.

Could HQ add a JSON-output to the projects section on our.umbraco.org with the relevant fields (package identifier, current version, release date, and perhaps release notes)?

If that's available it wouldn't be very difficult to add a check to Umbraco and provide an overview/alert that a new package is available.

Thinking about security a bit more, it would also be good to have a flag somewhere to indicate whether it's a bug fix, enhancement, or security update (or a combination).

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 09, 2015 @ 04:53
    Robert Foster

Hi Arie, I like where this is heading... Why don't you lodge an enhancement suggestion on the issue tracker:

http://issues.umbraco.org

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft