Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damien Green 72 posts 134 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 08:18
    Damien Green

Problems passing parameters with $http.post to API Controller

Hi Guys,

I'm having problems getting $http.post to wortk with an UmbracoAPIController. Does this work differently to MVC? Here is my API Controller:

[PluginController("ImageGallery")]
    public class ImageGalleryApiController : UmbracoApiController
    {
        [HttpGet]
        public GalleryImage[] GetImages()
        {
            List<GalleryImage> Images = new List<GalleryImage>();
            Images.Add(new GalleryImage() { ID = 0, Url = "localhost/image001.jpg", Caption = "First Image" });
            Images.Add(new GalleryImage() { ID = 1, Url = "localhost/image002.jpg", Caption = "Second Image" });

return Images.ToArray();
        }

[HttpPost]
        public void SaveChanges(int GalleryID)
        {

}
    }

Javascript calling code:

$http.post("/umbraco/ImageGallery/ImageGalleryApi/SaveChanges", { GalleryID: 1 }).
            then(function (response) {
                // this callback will be called asynchronously
                // when the response is available
            }, function (response) {
                // called asynchronously if an error occurs
                // or server returns response with an error status.
                alert("failed");
            });

When I call the SaveChanges method with the GalleryID parameter, I get a 404 failure from the client end. If I remove the parameter from both the Javascript code and the APIController, the method is called correctly, so the problem would seem to be with passing parameters. The same type of approach works just fine in asp.NET MVC, so does Umbraco do things differently or am I doing something wrong?

I've noticed that if I change the APIController SaveChanges method to:

public void SaveChanges(object GalleryID)

the parameter will be passed and is received but it isn't deserialised instead the object comes over as type Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JObject. In MVC4, the objects are automatically mapped to the .Net equivalents, but it looks like for some reason this is not happening here.

I'm not sure why this is not working since exactly the same code works just fine in MVC 5? Am I missing something very obvious here or does Umbraco need to do things differently?

Many thanks,

Damien

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 10:15
    Steve Morgan

Hi Damien,

I've never been sure if this is an Umbraco issue or the WebAPI MVC stuff that Umbraco inherits from.

Basically it doesn't match to the method when you pass basic data types (string, int etc) - create a really simple model / class for the data (even if it only contains a single int) and pass that.

Similar issue here: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/70235-surfacecontroller-not-working-with-jquery-ajax-post#comment-226559

Hope that helps

Steve

Aug 11, 2015 @ 12:44
    Damien Green

Cheers Steve,

That's exactly what I did earlier this morning in order to fix it, it's the way I used to pass parameters via post. I wonder if Umbraco isn't using all of the features in later versions of MVC yet? I'm definitely getting the desired behaviour in those projects so I guess there's just something a little different going on under the covers.

From what I can tell it's basically wrapping my parameters into a JSON object and as you say because that object does not match the parameters it is never deserialised properly.

Oh well, it's no biggie, I was just interested in why it's not working in the same way as MVC.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Damien

• Lars-Erik Aabech 349 posts 1100 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 14:10
    Lars-Erik Aabech

This is an angular vs MVC "feature". It is possible to bake an url-encoded form post with angular, but you have to do some tricks. Here's a stack overflow post describing it:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11442632/how-can-i-post-data-as-form-data-instead-of-a-request-payload

But you shouldn't strive for builtin types anyway in my opinion. Having a DTO is good coding practice, and it makes everything a lot more readable when you start adding other parameters. ('Cause you will. Promise! ;) )

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 14:23
    Steve Morgan

Thanks for explaining why Lars-Erik. This has been annoying me for a while!

Whilst I agree we should all strive for good coding practice if it's sending an Int and an Int is all that's needed why oh why must we use a DTO?

I dislike MVC "rules" of "purity" (even if Angular is to blame here). Simple is usually best?! That all said I respect others opinions here and am risking a code purity argument I'm likely to lose!. Thanks for explaining it :)

• Lars-Erik Aabech 349 posts 1100 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 14:26
    Lars-Erik Aabech

It isn't mvc purity,just purity. But I'll let it rest. 😊

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 16:05
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Damien,

I think the url you are posting to is not correct. I think your missing a "api" slug.

See the routing docs for more info : https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Implementation/Routing/Routing/

Dave

Aug 14, 2015 @ 14:21
    Damien Green

Hi Dave,

I'm using a custom route for this so it doesn't exactly adhere to the documentation. There isn't actually any problem calling the service, the issue is that the way in which parameters are interpreted differs slightly between Umbraco and the latest version of MVC.

Thanks,

Damien

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft