Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy W 15 posts 85 karma points
    Aug 12, 2015 @ 14:43
    Andy W

Daily greetings not displayed on copy of live umbraco website

Hi,

I have made a copy of our live Umbraco intranet for test purposes via the steps below:

1. I've made a copy of the database
    2. Made a copy of the website and created a new site in IIS
    3. Modified the web.config to point to the test database.

For some reason, when I test the site, it runs, but if I try to login to Umbraco, I get the following:

1. No greetings are displayed on the login page ('Happy funky Friday' etc.)
    2. I am prompted for a username/password for the webserver (I assume)

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks, Andy

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Aug 12, 2015 @ 14:49
    Jason

Some questions:

1. Can you log into the back office for the copied site?
    2. Are you using a differ domain name?
    3. Have you tried clear your browser cache (just checking).

JT

Aug 12, 2015 @ 14:59
    Andy W

Hi Jason,

No I can't log into the backend - that's the problem. The site itself runs fine. I've got older copies that I can log into fine.

I'm browsing to the site using the server name and port number, which works fine for other copies I have made.

I've cleared the cache too, but good reminder!

Any other ideas gratefully received!

thanks, Andy

• Jason 122 posts 637 karma points
    Aug 12, 2015 @ 16:06
    Jason

The issue you are describing sounds like a database connection issue. I would suggest double checking the account you are using to connect to the database. If you moved the database to a new server or locally, even if you have a user with the exact same username and password you would still need to remove the user from the specific database and then add the user back to the database. If you are using integrated security you could have and issue with the identity not having access to the database.

Sort of a stab in the dark, so not sure if I am correct. If none of that helps try having a look at the browser's dev tools to see if there are any network errors or JS errors that can give you a little more info.

JT

Aug 13, 2015 @ 08:53
    Andy W

Thanks again for your reply JT.

Good point re. the database, so I tried that, but still have the problem. To rule out a problem with the database altogether, I tried pointing my test website to my live database, and that failed too. I then reverted back to my test database, but first in sql changed the login password for my Umbraco account - I could log in with the new password, so I know it's connecting to the database.

So to recap, when I try to log into the backend for a test site:

• The daily greetings don't show (not a show stopper, but strange)

• As soon as I login, I'm prompted for 'Authentication required', which then prevents me from accessing the backend.

I'm going to triple check my IIS settings now!

Thanks, Andy

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 13, 2015 @ 10:34
    Sebastiaan Janssen

FYI: The greeting comes from the language xml files in Umbraco\Config\Lang

We have nothing saying "Authentication required" so I'm guessing there's some config in your IIS that's going to a different authentication. My guess would be that basic authentication is enabled.

enter image description here

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft