Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 11:41
    Tony Groome

How to Find a Page in the Database

Hi All

I have built a site and just migrated to SQL Express from CE - so far so good. In the Umbraco site is a list of our staff. Each member of staff gets a page, which is stored under the branch they are working in. What I want to do is add new members through SQL Express. I can't find the staff members in the database to know where to import them.

Any ideas. Thanks. Tony

• David Verberckmoes 46 posts 77 karma points
    Aug 18, 2015 @ 12:53
    David Verberckmoes

Hi,

umbraco does not create a table per documenttype. The best practice to import data is to use either a package like CMSimport or use the document API to create the staff members.

Aug 19, 2015 @ 13:35
    Tony Groome

Hi All

I found what I was looking for by opening every table in the database. Don't forget to expand them all as what I wanted was hiding in the cmsContentXml table. I only noticed when it was fully expanded on my third circuit of the tables!

Thanks. Tony

Aug 19, 2015 @ 14:35
    David Verberckmoes

That's not the way to put content in Umbraco! It is a table that keeps the published XML for all nodes before storing it in the XML cache. When you publish something, the data is going to be overwritten.

Aug 19, 2015 @ 16:00
    Tony Groome

Can I put content in that way as a once off? It will just be a once off. The idea is to copy all the staff members over once and then as people come and go we can add the new ones and take away the old ones in the backoffice as we need to. The alternative is to add all the staff members the long way - we are just trying to avoid this.

Thanks. Tony

Aug 20, 2015 @ 07:03
    David Verberckmoes

Hi Tony,

you should not do that. If you don't want to maintain the staff in Umbraco you can also create a SurfaceController to fetch the staff from an external source like Active Directory or another database.

Aug 20, 2015 @ 07:26
    Tony Groome

Hi David

Oh, never knew that. Thanks. Any idea how to start this?

Thanks. Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft