Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 11:31
    Jason Espin

Version control of packages installed through the Umbraco back office

Hi all,

I've had this issue for some time and have finally got round to asking how you guys handle it.

There are a lot of common packages we use in our Umbraco projects that have NuGet repositories (e.g. Slimsy). These are great as they work perfectly with our version control (Mercurial) meaning we don't have to upload our bin directory when committing changes. When another developer pulls the project down onto their machine, NuGet simply restores the required dependencies and the project just works.

However, a lot of the most popular Umbraco packages do not have NuGet repositories meaning the only way you can install them is via the Umbraco back office. This is fine but when it comes to version control this can really mess things up as when another developer pulls the project down from version control, there will often be dependencies for the packages I have installed in this manner missing because all of the information is typically stored in a .dll file in the bin directory which is not committed.

Has anybody come up with a solution or approach of how best to get around this as it really eats up a lot of time trawling through bin directories to copy dll files across when this happens. Ideally every popular Umbraco package should have a NuGet repository but that is wishful thinking so I was wondering how other people currently approach this issue.

Any help, pointers or experiences dealing with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 11:43
    Nik

One idea that I've had is to have a Solution folder called "Umbraco Packages". In this folder I keep all of the latest package zip files so that when a developer pulls down the solution they can quickly install the packages to ensure they are up to date.

It's a bit on the manual side but it does give the benefits of version control so you can see when a package was updated.

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 11:45
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Jason,

We always copy the assemblies of Umbraco packages to a NonNugetAssemblies folder (which is included in source control) and add a reference to them, you can see a example here

Out of interest which popular packages don't have a NuGet version already?

Jeavon

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 11:57
    Jason Espin

Hi Jeavon,

Thanks for the reply. So far I have been unable to find a NuGet package for:

• Optimus (and all of the additional stuff like Sass support)
    • Url Tracker
    • Umbraco Validation Attributes

All of which we use every project.

Cheers,

Jason

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2016 @ 07:37
    Dave Woestenborghs

This is how we do it as well.

Dave

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 14:57
    James

You could always try including the bin folder in source control? I don't think its THAT big of a folder.

It's not like committing the Media folder to source control for example.

We had the same issue and found it was easier to include the bin folder for projects we knew may need packages that can't be installed via Nuget.

If you know the project will only need packages with Nuget support then you can go back to ignoring the bin folder.

Probably stating the obvious but i guess it depends entirely on the number of developers and how strict you are about certain things.

Different Git-Ignore files for different types of projects basically :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers

• Simon 692 posts 1068 karma points
    Jan 07, 2016 @ 21:05
    Simon

Hi James,

Is it good to commit the bin .dll files to the source control? Because today, I had the issue that I cloned a repository, (the bin folder was not committed) from git, and I had somes issues related to the Umbraco forms, optimus bundling was not working etc...

Then I replaced the original bin folder files and worked fine..

Any idea please?

• Stefano Beretta 101 posts 246 karma points
    Aug 25, 2015 @ 15:32
    Stefano Beretta

Hi Jason!

I had the same problem and I always include in my project the files I need, and it works (using VS+TFS):

• open the references -> select all -> right click -> properties -> Copy local = true
    • put the App_Plugins folder under source control
    • go to the bin folder and include only the dlls of the plugins you installed via umbraco backoffice

Hope this help, best regards Stefano

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft