Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 692 posts 1068 karma points
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 11:15
    Simon

Umbraco Error no knowing where it is happening

Hi Guys,

Hope you're fine. I am having a problem regarding an error/exception which is being thrown and logged in the UmbracoTraceLog, but it is not having an consequnces on the frontend.

The problem is that I cannot find where the exception is being thrown.

The Error is :

2015-08-28 11:54:52,100 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T329/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at umbraco.library.GetXmlNodeCurrent()

Now this is affecting the memory on the hosted server, since this error is very continuous, which is very expensive on memory when hosted on the staging server.

Can anyone guide me how can I solve it? (Note that I am not using the CurrentPage in the master page and all the templates are inheriting from @inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<IPublishedContent>)

I am using Umbraco 7.2.6

Thank you for your help.

• Steven Harland 78 posts 518 karma points c-trib
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 11:59
    Steven Harland

Do you have the Latest Edits Dashboard package installed?

That's what's throwing these exceptions for me but I've not had time to look into a fix yet.

Aug 28, 2015 @ 12:02
    Simon

No, I don't have that package installed.

Aug 28, 2015 @ 12:03
    Simon

Similary, I have the Dictionary Dashboard Package installed, but I don't think so that it is causing these unknown exceptions :/

• Steven Harland 78 posts 518 karma points c-trib
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 12:06
    Steven Harland

Sounds like some sort of backoffice extension is causing it.

What I did was tail the log file and navigate around the backoffice to see at what points the error arose.

Uninstalling the package got rid of it but I've decided I can live with it for the time being.

Aug 28, 2015 @ 12:09
    Simon

Hi Steven,

I cannot find a way how can I identify which package is causing it. I am having continous exceptions, like below:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

2015-08-28 13:06:20,548 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T121/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:20,579 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T59/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:20,766 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T303/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:20,766 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T114/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:50,972 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T168/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:50,972 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T205/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:51,003 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T198/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:06:51,691 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T303/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:07:03,176 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T123/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

2015-08-28 13:07:04,895 [27] ERROR umbraco.library - [T286/D4] Could not retrieve current xml node

Aug 28, 2015 @ 12:20
    Simon

The problem is even worse for me since even relationships for nuPickers are not working because it throwing an exception (in dev-tools Network Tab SystemMemoryOutException)

Aug 28, 2015 @ 15:07
    Simon

How can I debug it please, since there is not indication in the error log file?

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Aug 28, 2015 @ 17:30
    Mark Bowser

Can you post a list of all of the packages installed on your site? Other things to try are republishing the entire site and reindexing all of your examine indexes. Let me know if you need help doing that or if an error prevents you from doing so.

Aug 28, 2015 @ 23:01
    Simon

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find attached a screenshot of the installed packages and also the error that I receive when trying to access the Developers section.

enter image description here

Also, I cannot rebuild indexes, since when I try to access the Examine Mangement, it keeps on loading. I have attached another screenshot, where you can see also the error which is shown in the Network tab of the Dev tool when access the Developers Section

enter image description here

I very appreciate any help because I am stuck with this problem.

Thank you very much. Waiting for your reply.

Sep 01, 2015 @ 09:48
    Simon

Any Idea Please?

Thank you.

Oct 08, 2015 @ 12:29
    Simon

Hi Guys,

Related the following error:

2015-10-08 09:37:31,399 [34] ERROR umbraco.library - [T10/D93] Could not retrieve current xml node

does anyone has an idea why it is ocurring?

It is not affecting the website and no errors are being thrown or something but these continous errors are being loggedin the UmbracoTraceLog.txt.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards.

• John 18 posts 74 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2017 @ 15:32
    John

This seems to be the same issue as https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/72058-continous-error-in-umbracotracelog

I have submitted a Issue ticket and PR as I am also having the issue.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-10143

Jul 11, 2017 @ 17:21
    Mark Bowser

John and Simon, do you have these problems while using the umbraco backoffice? Or are these errors you get when people use the front end? Is there a dev environment or a local environment you can use to find out? If these logs show up when you browse the front end, it could be that some place in the site is querying umbraco using the depreciated umbraco.library. Maybe searching the source for umbraco.library or library.GetXmlNodeCurrent will reveal something. It's a long shot because I'd expect the location of a reference to the umbraco.library to show up in the stack trace. Could be a good sanity check though.

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Jul 11, 2017 @ 19:24
    MuirisOG

A long shot, but is there a possibility you are using the backoffice even after your session has timed out?

If you actively log out and log back in, do the errors stop?

• John 18 posts 74 karma points c-trib
    Jul 12, 2017 @ 06:43
    John

We have separate server that runs the back office and front end servers. This only happens both the backend and frontend servers.

It also happens in the middle of the night on the edit server when there is no one using the back office system over 5 hours after people have gone home. We have 3,271 occurrences between 2am and 3am for example.

This it is not something that we have been able to reproduce locally yet.

Jul 12, 2017 @ 18:29
    Mark Bowser

Interesting. Are there any appSettings in the root web.config or any settings in the config/umbracoSettings.config that look like they relate to the xml cache that are different on your local environment?

Have you tried republishing the entire site? What about deleting the entire App_Data\TEMP directory and App_Data\umbraco.config file on your production server? I sometimes have to turn off the site before clearing these because there might be locks on the files. This will usually cause a slower than usual startup time for the site because it has to regenerate the xml cache and the examine indexes. It might be that something is corrupted in your xml cache. Maybe regenerating all of it will resolve the problem?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft