Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Halldór Hrafn 15 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 31, 2015 @ 12:31
    Halldór Hrafn

Podcasting tips

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building a small Podcast blog site.

But since I'm quite the amateur when it comes to Umbraco, I'd like to get a few tips, hints or pointers on what direction I shold go.

Basicaly I'm going the have blog atricles, where each one (usually) has a audio blog associated with it. And I'm using the typical Tags, summary text, content body RTE and etc.

Should the audofiles act as a file upload property on a content type, or host it in the media library (and upload/select it via the atricle).

Should I write up a RSS/XML generator, just let feedburner do the work, or is there perhasp something ready for this? :)

Any other hints? :D

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 14:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Halldór

Sounds like an interesting project that you are working a there.

I think that you should use the media library for hosting the audio files and then use a media picker property editor on your page document type for picking the audio file from the media section.

You could also have the audio files placed on disk but then you need to figure out a way to pick those files - Can't remember if a 3rd party property editor already exists for this though - Otherwise you should write one yourself using AngularJS - But since you're new to Umbraco that is probably not the right path right now unless you're already an AngularJS ninja of course :)

I think you should have a look in the available snippets when you create a new razor macro or xslt macro from within the "Developer" section - If I remember correctly an example snippet for generating an XML feed already exists - But you'll probably have to tweak it a bit to make it fullfil your needs.

Have you chosen an audio player? Otherwise it might be worth checking out http://mediaelementjs.com/

Hope this helps a bit and that I have understood your questions properly :)

/Jan

• Halldór Hrafn 15 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 01, 2015 @ 14:30
    Halldór Hrafn

Thanks Jan!

These just the type of hints I was hoping for :D

I expect I'll go with the media library approach, since I'd like to maintain a certain degree of usability and maintainability.

Is it otherwise correct, that the actual media fileswill be saved on disk (/media/...), and only references to the files are stored in DB?

Also I'm actually hoping to go with AngualrJS. This should prove to be a nice learning experiance ;)

I'll take a look at the XML generation with razor (I prefer C#), and if I managed to produce a good enaugh solutiin I'll post it to this thread.

Oh and thanks for the player reference, looks great!

Halldór Hrafn

• James Hayward 17 posts 37 karma points
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 08:16
    James Hayward

Good Questions - Good Answers.

Hoping this helps me in my quest for getting my podcast files into the new blog we are working on.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft