Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dhiren 59 posts 201 karma points
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 09:19
    Dhiren

Distributed call not working after enabling SSL for umbraco backoffice server

Hi,

Our distributed call is not working on Live server since we have enabled SSL for umbraco backoffice server.

We have enabled distributed calls on our load balanced UAT server.

Following configuration we have done on umbracoSettings.config file on all servers(Backoffice, Front1,Front2)

<distributedCall enable="true"> 
    <user>0</user> 
    <servers> 
    <server>cmssiteuat.server.com</server> 
    <server>frontsite1uat.server.com</server> 
    <server>frontsite2uat.server.com</server> 
    </servers> 
    </distributedCall>

This is working fine on UAT. Now when we do same settings on our Live server it is giving error.

Live site Configuration

<user>0</user> 
    <servers> 
    <server>cmssitelive.server.com</server> 
    <server>frontsite1live.server.com</server> 
    <server>frontsite2live.server.com</server> 
    </servers> 
    </distributedCall>

Error:

2015-09-04 17:48:53,164 [89] INFO Umbraco.Core.Sync.DefaultServerMessenger - [Thread 64] Submitting calls to distributed servers 2015-09-04 17:48:53,164 [89] ERROR Umbraco.Core.Sync.DefaultServerMessenger - [Thread 64] Error refreshing a node in the distributed list, URI attempted: invalid url (responseUri null) System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format. at System.Net.TlsStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.PooledStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeadersCallback(IAsyncResult ar) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientAsyncResult.WaitForResponse() at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Object& internalAsyncState, Stream& responseStream) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Umbraco.Core.Sync.ServerSyncWebServiceClient.EndRefreshById(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at Umbraco.Core.Sync.DefaultServerMessenger.PerformDistributedCall(IEnumerable1 servers, ICacheRefresher refresher, MessageType dispatchType, IEnumerable1 ids, Type idArrayType, String jsonPayload) I have already checked that all URLs are accessible from each servers and also there is no issue of authorization rights.

Difference between UAT & Live site : On live site, Backoffice CMS is running under HTTPS (Secure connection).

Already tried:

<user>0</user> 
    <servers> 
    <server forceProtocol="http" forcePortnumber="80">cmssitelive.server.com</server> 
    <server forceProtocol="http" forcePortnumber="80">frontsite1live.server.com</server> 
    <server forceProtocol="http" forcePortnumber="80">frontsite2live.server.com</server> 
    </servers> 
    </distributedCall>

Please help on this.

Thanks

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 09:26
    Dave Woestenborghs

I think you need to add the servers like this :

<server forceProtocol="https" forcePortnumber="443">127.0.0.2</server>

Sep 07, 2015 @ 09:35
    Dhiren

Hi Dave,

But my both servers are not running under HTTPS and they dont have any bindings for HTTPS or any SSL installed in that.

Will it still work in that case?

Sep 07, 2015 @ 09:36
    Dave Woestenborghs

You only need to set it for the server that is running under https. I think in your case it's the cms server

Sep 07, 2015 @ 10:02
    Dhiren

Hi Dave,

We did try same but we got following error.

Error: Error refreshing a node in the distributed list, URI attempted: invalid url (responseUri null)

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 'ip address':443

Thanks, Dhiren

Sep 07, 2015 @ 10:04
    Dave Woestenborghs

Do you have SSL certificate on your UAT environement ?

If yes and it's working there the problem can be the certificate.

Dave

Sep 07, 2015 @ 10:11
    Dhiren

No, i don't have SSL certificate on UAT server. Thats why i need to test all these things on Live site directly.

Can you envisage what could be issue here.

Sep 07, 2015 @ 10:50
    Dave Woestenborghs

Can you test if this webservice can be reached ?

https://cmsdomain:443/umbraco/webservices/cacherefresher.asmx

This should display a list of webservice methods.

Dave

Sep 07, 2015 @ 11:43
    Dhiren

Yes it is accessible to all servers and showing list of methods.

Sep 07, 2015 @ 11:51
    Dave Woestenborghs

What version of Umbraco are you using ?

Sep 09, 2015 @ 05:47
    Dave Woestenborghs

I just saw there is a appSetting in the web.config that is called umbracoUseSSL. By default this is false, maybe this needs to be set to true.

Dave

• Prashanth Sundareshan 12 posts 81 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 05:20
    Prashanth Sundareshan

Hi Dave,

Sorry to tag on to this post, but unfortunately i'm facing a similar issue.

Where it works completely fine in our dev/uat enviornment where we do have ssl. but when pushed to live production environment, it faulters with the same error as Dhiren's. Along with that i get the below error

System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientAsyncResult.WaitForResponse()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Object& internalAsyncState, Stream& responseStream)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at Umbraco.Web.BatchedServerMessenger.SendMessages(IEnumerable`1 messages)

And i do have umbracouseSSL = true in my config.

Jan 31, 2019 @ 05:23
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 00:10
    Prashanth Sundareshan

Hi,

I found that same implementation works for similar website with umbraco version 7.6.5 while the one with umbraco 7.1.8 fails to propagate the CMS changes to the slave servers.

System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientAsyncResult.WaitForResponse()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Object& internalAsyncState, Stream& responseStream)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at Umbraco.Web.BatchedServerMessenger.SendMessages(IEnumerable`1 messages)

The above error occurs when i list down the master server as well in the distributed server section umbracoSettings.config.

While i remove the master server and leave only the slave server in the config, all i see in the logs is that umbraco submitted distributed calls, but no indication of anything happening after that.

Now, i'm planning to upgrade umbraco for the website which is failing, and try distributed calls again.

Thanks,

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft