Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Lagmark 65 posts 140 karma points
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 13:55
    Paul Lagmark

Examine for multiple sites

Hi,

I have multiple sites running on one database. When I search with examine I get results from all of the sites that is in the database.

How do I narrow down the search so that it only searches for the current site Im at?

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 15:24
    jivan thapa

You need to scope your search results by "root" id of the website.

it's an old post but it may solve your issue. http://www.attackmonkey.co.uk/blog/2011/12/limiting-an-examine-search-to-the-current-site

Sep 08, 2015 @ 14:41
    Paul Lagmark

Thanks for your answer, I will check the link :)

Sep 09, 2015 @ 09:01
    Paul Lagmark

I have tried the examle in the link you posted. I understand what it wants to do but I can't manage to do it :)

The problem I have is that ApplicationBase is deprecated.

As recommended by umbraco documentation I should use interface IApplicationEventHandler instead.

The error I get with this is "No overload for 'SetSiteSearchFields' matches delegate 'System.Eventhandler'".

This feels like a minor error but whatever I try I can't manage to fix it.

Here is the code in my class:

public class CmsEvents : IApplicationEventHandler
    {
        public void OnApplicationStarted(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext)
        {
            var indexerSite = ExamineManager.Instance.IndexProviderCollection["MySearchIndexer"];
            indexerSite.GatheringNodeData += new EventHandler(SetSiteSearchFields);

}

public void OnApplicationStarting(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext) { }
        public void OnApplicationInitialized(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext) { }

//modifies the index field for the path variable, so that it can be searched properly
        void SetSiteSearchFields(object sender, IndexingNodeDataEventArgs e)
        {
            //grab the current data from the Fields collection
            var path = e.Fields["path"];

//let's get rid of those commas!
            path = path.Replace(",", " ");

//add as new field, as path seems to be a reserved word in Lucene
            e.Fields.Add("searchPath", path);
        }
    }

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 08, 2015 @ 15:41
    Ismail Mayat

On that post checkout commit from stephan regarding multi site in different languages.

Ideally if different languages then create different indexes so that you can use different analysers which is what is ideally required.

Regards

Ismail

Sep 09, 2015 @ 09:42
    Paul Lagmark

It's not multiple sites in different languages, it's just multiple sites in one database :)

So the index should be the same for all sites, i just need to contain the search for the current site I'm at.

It feels like I'm very close to a solution where I get the id of the root node of the current site I'm at and then restrict search results to only show if it contains that id in "path".

The problem I have now is that I have a method that I want to pass as a delegate to the examine event "GatheringNodeData" so that I can get rid of the commas in the path-string to be able to search for the id.

I've followed the link that Jivan Thapa posted above. See my second answer to his post to see the code.

Sep 09, 2015 @ 13:49
    Paul Lagmark

This is the problem i think:

public class CmsEvents : ApplicationEventHandler
    {

public void ApplicationStarted(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext)
        {
            var indexerSite = ExamineManager.Instance.IndexProviderCollection["MySearchIndexer"];
            indexerSite.GatheringNodeData += SetSiteSearchFields;
        }
        public void OnApplicationStarting(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext) { }
        public void OnApplicationInitialized(UmbracoApplicationBase httpApplicationBase, Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext applicationContext) { }

//modifies the index field for the path variable, so that it can be searched properly
        {

}
    }

I have a breakpoint that should trigger when "ApplicationStarted()" is run, but this never happens. This means that the searchpatch is never added to the index in the way it needs to be searchable.

The controller is looking like this:

var searcher = ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["MySearchSearcher"];

var criteria = searcher.CreateSearchCriteria(UmbracoExamine.IndexTypes.Content);

Examine.SearchCriteria.IBooleanOperation filter = null;

//search on main fields
                filter = criteria.GroupedOr(new string[] { "nodeName" }, search);
                filter = filter.And().Field("searchPath", parentId);

//don't show hidden pages
                filter
                    .Not()
                    .Field("umbracoNaviHide", "1");

var resultsTemp = searcher.Search(filter.Compile());

////Fetching our SearchProvider by giving it the name of our searchprovider 
                //var Searcher = Examine.ExamineManager.Instance.SearchProviderCollection["MySearchSearcher"];

//searchResults = Searcher.Search(search, true).OrderByDescending(x => x.Score).TakeWhile(x => x.Score > 0.05f);

model = new SearchModel(resultsTemp);

And here is the indexSet:

<IndexSet SetName="MySearch" IndexPath="~/App_Data/ExamineIndexes/MySearch/">
    <IndexAttributeFields>
      <add Name="id" />
      <add Name="nodeName"/>
      <add Name="path" />
      <add Name="updateDate" />
      <add Name="writerName" />
      <add Name="nodeTypeAlias" />
    </IndexAttributeFields>
    <IndexUserFields>
      <add Name="titel"/>
      <add Name="text"/>
    </IndexUserFields>
    <IncludeNodeTypes>
      <add Name="Huvudsida" />
      <add Name="Undersida" />
      <add Name="ObjektSida" />
    </IncludeNodeTypes>

And here is the settings:

<IndexAttributeFields>
      <add Name="id" />
      <add Name="nodeName"/>
      <add Name="path" />
    </IndexAttributeFields>
    <IndexUserFields>
      <add Name="titel"/>
      <add Name="text"/>
    </IndexUserFields>
    <IncludeNodeTypes>
      <add Name="Huvudsida" />
      <add Name="Undersida" />
    </IncludeNodeTypes>

What I'm I missing? :)

Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:46
    Paul Lagmark

Me again.

The OnApplicationStarted() method is now triggering as it should. I hade to change the inheritance from "ApplicationEventHandler" to interface "IApplicationEventHandler". Don't know why but it works, if anyone knows why please edjucate me :)

Now to the next problem:

I dont get any searchresults what so ever when I include this line:

If I comment that out I get results. The full filter looks like this (simplified for testing):

Examine.SearchCriteria.IBooleanOperation filter = null;

filter = criteria.GroupedOr(new string[] { "nodeName" }, search);
                filter
                    .Not()
                    .Field("umbracoNaviHide", "1");

I thought that this method:

{

}

would make it possible to search on the field "searchPath", but it do not seem to work.

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:55
    Nathan Skidmore

I have implemented something similar to this and used multiple indexes as stated above. You'll need to replicate the ExamineIndexProviders, ExamineSearchProviders and IndexSets, each with their own related names. Then within the Index Set you can set the parent Id to the root of the specific website that you want to search.

<IndexSet SetName="IndexSetName" IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/SiteSearch/NameOfIndex" IndexParentId="ParentNodeIdGoesHere">
        <IncludeNodeTypes>
          <!-- add node types to include -->
        </IncludeNodeTypes>
        <ExcludeNodeTypes />
      </IndexSet>

If you store the name of the index in a property at the root of each site, you can then easily search the index for that site based on the value stored in the property. You could add a default index as a fallback in case the property value is empty.

I would guess that this is better for performance than using just one index and filtering in code, as each index will be smaller and specific to the site in question. But I haven't done any performance testing to verify this.

Sep 09, 2015 @ 14:57
    Paul Lagmark

It sounds very good and I will try it out. Thanks! :)

Sep 09, 2015 @ 15:08
    jivan thapa

To be sure , remember to delete the folder "App_data/temp". and Let the Umbraco rebuild the index again. And publish the content.

Sep 09, 2015 @ 18:07
    jivan thapa

Here is a demo using "ExternalSearcher" .

http://screencast.com/t/qAgELMsZl

Sep 10, 2015 @ 07:44
    Paul Lagmark

Really good video, thanks alot! :)

But... I did all the steps, several times. Still, it does not work.

As soon as a add this line:

filter = filter.And().Field("searchPath", rootId);

where "rootId" is a string with the id of the rootNode, I get 0 results.

I've deleted the TEMP folder in AppData several times. I've republished the site several times. I've tried with ExternalIndexer/ExternalSearcher. I've tried with custom Indexer/Searcher. Still no luck as soon as I add the line to search for "searchPath".

This makes me come to the conclution that it's something wrong with the delegate i pass to the "GatheringNodeData" event. It's not adding the new field "searchPath" it seems.

The event "OnApplicationStartup" triggers and adds the method "SetSiteSearchFields" to the "GatheringNodeData", just as it should. Still, not working.

Im using umbraco 7.2 and develops in a local environment.

This is getting a bit frustrating, i'm very glad that you guys try to help me out as much as you do :)

Sep 10, 2015 @ 07:54
    jivan thapa

Could you stop ApplicationPool, Website on IIS, and Delete "Appdata/Temp" folder and "Appdata/umbraco.config" file ?

And restart IIS, again?

if you still have a problem.

Download the software "luke.net" and Install. Browse your Appdata/temp/ExamineIndexes/YourIndexDirectory/Index" And varify that the field called "searchPath" is exist. You will see lots of field like "nodeName", "path" , "_path" etc

https://luke.codeplex.com/releases/view/82190

Sep 10, 2015 @ 08:38
    Paul Lagmark

There is no folder for my Index in Appdata/temp/ExamineIndexes/ after I deleted it. It seems to not recreate it when I run the project. The other Indexes are there, External, Internal and InternalMember.

There is a folder in Appdata/ExaminesIndexes that is named after my index, "MySearch". When I check that index with Luke there is no field called "searchPath"

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Sep 10, 2015 @ 09:24
    Nathan Skidmore

To re-create the index, publish some content in the back office that you expect to be indexed, then it will be created and rebuilt.

Sep 10, 2015 @ 09:28
    jivan thapa

Also delete "app data/ temp/umbraco.config" file

Sep 10, 2015 @ 07:58
    jivan thapa

enter image description here

Sep 10, 2015 @ 09:02
    jivan thapa

If you cannot see "searchPath" on Luke, You will get 0 results because there is not data for "searchPath".

Could you share your ExamineSettings.config and ExamineIndex.config?

And Could you do POC based on my video on your computer ? on a complete new project with new umbraco installation?

Sep 10, 2015 @ 09:08
    Paul Lagmark

ExamineSettings.config:

<Examine>

<add name="InternalMemberIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoMemberIndexer, UmbracoExamine"
           supportUnpublished="true"
           supportProtected="true"
           analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"/>

<!-- default external indexer, which excludes protected and unpublished pages-->
      <add name="ExternalIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoContentIndexer, UmbracoExamine"/>

<!-- CUSTOM / PAUL -->
      <add name="MySearchIndexer" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoContentIndexer, UmbracoExamine"
         supportUnpublished="false"
         supportProtected="true"
         interval="10"
         analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"
         indexSet="MySearch"/>

</providers>

<add name="ExternalSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine" />

<add name="InternalMemberSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine"
           analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net" enableLeadingWildcard="true"/>

<!-- CUSTOM / PAUL -->
      <add name="MySearchSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine"
          analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net" indexSet="MySearch" enableLeadingWildcards="true"/>

</providers>

ExamineIndex.config

<IndexAttributeFields>
      <add Name="id" />
      <add Name="nodeName"/>
      <add Name="path" />
    </IndexAttributeFields>
    <IndexUserFields>
      <add Name="titel"/>
      <add Name="text"/>
    </IndexUserFields>
    <IncludeNodeTypes>
      <add Name="Huvudsida" />
      <add Name="Undersida" />
    </IncludeNodeTypes>

Sep 10, 2015 @ 09:45
    Paul Lagmark

Finally it's working!

I don't really know what the solution was but i believe it has something to do with me publishing the entire site before, nothing happened. When I just now published the sites one at a time it just.. works.

:D

Big thanks for all help from everyone, especial Jivan Thapa. You really saved my day, I owe you at least one beer :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft