Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lasse Offt 8 posts 98 karma points
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 08:11
    Lasse Offt

Edit in Visual Studio or Umbraco?

I'm very new to Umbraco so this might be a stupid question!

I have a solution in VIsual Studio with the Umbraco installed from Nuget. I have included all the folders from the Umbraco folders and files.

Under Views, i got a Master.cshtml, which i can edit to my needs. But that file i can also edit from Umbraco when deployed (on my server IIS). But if i edit the files from Umbraco on the server, the changes are of cause not seen in my solution, and if i edit the files from VS, it will overwrite the changes done in Umbraco on the server.. am i missing something?

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 08:41
    Dave de Moel

Personally I have the following workflow:

1) I install Umbraco from nuget and add all relevant files to the Visual Studio solution.

2) I add the entire solution to source control.

3) I create new document types and templates in Umbraco, and edit them in Visual Studio (don't forget to add them to the solution).

4) I set up a publish profile for each environment the website will run (DTAP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development,testing,acceptanceandproduction)

5) Whenever I do changes, I keep a changelog for the changes to Umbraco (data types, packages installed, document types etc) that do not get saved in the solution. (some packages can be installed via nuget, DO IT!!!)

6) When I publish a new version of the website, I will then manually go though the changes recorded in the changelog to make sure the versions are equal.

Another option is to buy a license for Courier, but I have no experience with that.

Sep 16, 2015 @ 08:44
    Lasse Offt

So, the content of the pages are saved in the SQL server, but the files under View is NOT? So any changes made here, should be done in VS and any changes done under Content in Umbraco is always saved on the SQL server? is that correct?

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 09:06
    Dave de Moel

Yes basically that is correct indeed. Of course you are not forced to do changes in VS, but it has a lot of benefits (intellisense for example), and makes it easier to do version management (I again point to DTAP).

Sep 16, 2015 @ 10:14
    Lasse Offt

Alright, thank you.. i guess one have to be careful where one make changes because one could easily overwrite stuff!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft