Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jessica 6 posts 36 karma points
    Sep 19, 2015 @ 17:00
    Jessica

Exporting large media library in package

I have Umbraco set up on a staging environment and am trying to migrate everything to the production environment. I've gotten everything moved over via packages except the Media Library.

The Media Library has 400 folders and the package file is 300MB. I've been trying to install the package on the production server. It uploads but the upload progress % goes up to about 10 or 12 then resets at 0%.

Is there any alternative to migrating the Media Library? I can FTP the files to the server in the /Media folder but Umbraco won't recognize them in the Media Library.

Any help would be very appreciated.

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Sep 20, 2015 @ 07:39
    jivan thapa

If you move the media library all files via FTP at /media/* directory, Umbraco should work.

Have you moved the media files at right folder?

Sep 22, 2015 @ 15:58
    Jessica

Yeah I FTP'd the media folders/files with the exact same names and structure. But they don't show up as Media Library items in the Umbraco backoffice.

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Sep 22, 2015 @ 16:04
    jivan thapa

Could you show us how it looks in Umbraco backoffice and in Ftp /media/files. ?

Just some parts, screen dumps without disclosing your server's identity.

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 22, 2015 @ 17:32

Simply ftp-ing the files to the media dir on file system won't add the files to the media library.

Can you find any info in the umbraco logs at the timestamp of when you tried to do the upload through the backoffice

• Comment author was deleted

Sep 22, 2015 @ 17:35

Which version of Umbraco are you running, https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/desktop-media-uploader/ might be what you need

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2015 @ 17:54
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Jessica,

I'm afraid you'll need all the correct rows in the database too, for the files to be recognized as media items :(

Are you transferring between different database types (i.e. MySQL to MS SQL or SQL CE to MS SQL)?

Any chance of actually doing an export + import of the actual database?

/Chriztian

Feb 17, 2016 @ 15:31
    Jessica

Hello all, apologies for not replying. We are running Umbraco 7.2 and using SQL Server for our staging and MS Azure for production. The "deploy Azure database" works flawlessly. Unfortunately we can't always use that method because the production and staging aren't always the same due to launch schedules.

The main issues I've found with the built-in Umbraco packages are as follows:

• Media Library items do not get imported to the target database
    • Cannot select multiple Content Tree items to export
    • Custom dropdown selections import as blank

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! I am doing research into solutions for this but haven't found any yet.

Thanks!

• Jan Borup Coyle 7 posts 32 karma points
    Jul 12, 2018 @ 09:23
    Jan Borup Coyle

Hi Jessica

Did you find a solution for this problem, becase i have several tousand files that should be moved from One Umbraco project to another v. 7.2.8 to a v. 7.4.3. that should match the same content pages.

Hope you there is a solution, because i cannot find any Export/Import for this..

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Jul 12, 2018 @ 20:20
    Marcio Goularte

To understand, you already have a Umbraco installation and want to move the structure from one installation to another with folders, files, etc, without being by the method of exporting the database. To be clear that I'm not talking about the media folder, but the presentation in the back office. can you explain me better to see if it is exactly what I have already done as a solution

• Kunal 19 posts 116 karma points
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 15:44
    Kunal

Hi Marcio! I have the exact same problem you are describing. I can copy the content of the Media folder over from the legacy Umbraco 6 website to Umbraco 7. But how do I create them as Media items and retain the folder organization in the backoffice?

If you have a solution, can you please share?

Thanks, Kal

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft