Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Sep 22, 2015 @ 11:55
    Craig Cronin

Site architecture advice for a new build

I'm about to build a new site that has many long pages with similar components on each page.

The user would like the ability to dynamic mix and match the various parts of each page and move things around.

I was thinking about having an area on the site for content structure in container folders somewhere else in the site

The user would then use something like a MNTP to pick the parts of each page.

I'm not sure if I go down this approach that I'm going to run into issues or whether there is a better approach to this.

I've built something previously using uComponents RenderMacro type of thing?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated/

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Sep 22, 2015 @ 13:03
    Peter Duncanson

Ahhh a world of possibilities awaits you!

Right, is this content likely to be re-used on multiple pages? If not then risk rolling with "the grid". It can't be indexed for search (yet) but gives you speed.

If its needed else where then having it in one place like you is the best route however the editor experience can be a complete dogs dinner as you have to go to "the content repository", drill down to find the right bit then create your content item theeeeen go back to the original page and then select it...which ultimately is arse for the editor (although actually easy for us devs to build). Nested content is another option that might remove this bad editor smell though as long as the content you are making is small enough. With Nested content you can only edit the fields on one of a doctypes tabs. It does allow you to create a content item "in page" though rather than jumping around.

You could have a go at something like Mortar (https://github.com/leekelleher/umbraco-mortar) which I've heard great things about but not used.

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Sep 22, 2015 @ 14:14
    Craig Cronin

I love the opening line to your response, it just confirms confirms that I'm going to enjoy reading your reply :)

The content is not likely going to be used on other pages but I was concerned about editor experience even though I think there will only be one editor.

Just reading up on Mortar next :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft