Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 29, 2015 @ 12:16
    Saied

Is it possible to have to root nodes pointing to different websites?

I created a website structure with a root node called websiteA which points to /. Then I copied websiteA and created a duplicated called websiteB which I also want to point to \. When I go to websiteA, it goes to \, but when I go to websiteB, it goes to \websiteB\.

I can see how this does not work when on localhost because it has to be one, but once I get deploy, what do I have to see so www.websiteA.com points to its root and www.websiteB.com points to its root?

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 29, 2015 @ 12:40
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Saied,

What you need to do when you working with multilingual websites in Umbraco is to assign culture and hostnames.

So if you right click on the three dots, for the two home pages, then you will see culture and hostname in the context menu.

Then on website A add the domain for website A www.websiteA.com and set the culture of it, and do the same for website B.

If you only see en-us as the culture then you can add more languages in the settings section, in the language folder.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Sep 29, 2015 @ 13:30
    Saied

Hi Dennis,

Does this only apply if I my websites are deployed or can I set them while I am running localhost?

Also, since we are on the topic of Multi websites:

They don't have to be different languages right, they can both be english?

Also, what is the benefit to creating a new structure for each website instead of dynamically handling it at runtime? I guess what I am getting at is if you have one website with 10 languages, wouldn't that make your content structure grow very large?

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 30, 2015 @ 08:03
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Saied,

You can set them when you are on localhost, but you will need to add localhost as a hostname too, and then add bindings in your IIS, and add the address into the host file.

It could be e.g website-a.localhost and website-b.localhost.

No they donĀ“t have to be be different languages, both sites can use the english language.

The benefit, of creating a new structure for each website instead of dynamically handling it at runtime, is that then you can have different site structure, and different content on the pages.

But if you want to collection the languages in one site and just make 1:1 translation, then you could use a package like Vorto. https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto/

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Sep 30, 2015 @ 13:48
    Saied

Dennis,

Thanks for the response, so the only way to have a different structure is to have two different website nodes? This makes sense, I just wanted to be sure.

Let's assume the structure was the same, is it diffucult to get different content depending on what domain you come from? For example, if both sites had an about us page and you came from www.websiteA.com/about, it would say about wesbite A, but if you came from www.websiteB.com/about, it would say about webite B

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft