Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren Wilson 234 posts 622 karma points
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 15:43
    Darren Wilson

Help installing locally

Hi Folks,

This has been doing my head in for many hours - tried googling an answer with no luck:

Basically, I've got an existing website that I want to run locally so I can re-theme etc. I'm using WebMatrix to develop the site.

I have a bak file of the database.

Any help will be greatly appreciated - I'm going mad here!

Thanks Darren

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 01, 2015 @ 19:24

Hey Darren,

Do you know for which db engine the bak file of the database is? You'll probably need to install sql server and restore the file

Once that is done you'll need to update the web.config and point to the newly restored database

Oct 01, 2015 @ 21:36
    Darren Wilson

Thanks Tim,

The database was exported from MS SQL Server Manager. I'm using webmatrix 3.

Cheers Darren

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 19:33
    Nicholas Westby

This video will help you install Umbraco with IIS (though, this video assumes you are doing a clean Umbraco install): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK8YM3JBgwM

Basically, you'll put the website in some folder, then create the website in IIS to point to that folder, and setup a hosts file entry so you can access it using a domain. The video shows how to do all that. Note that if you don't see IIS, you may need to turn it on (it's a feature that is turned off in Windows 8.1 by default, I believe): http://www.iis.net/learn/application-frameworks/scenario-build-an-aspnet-website-on-iis/configuring-step-1-install-iis-and-asp-net-modules

Regarding the database, I'm assuming it's a SQL Server backup file (typically, it has a ".bak" extension, but for some reason people often share those files with no extension at all). Umbraco also supports MySql, so it may not be SQL Server.

You will have to install SQL Server locally, then restore the backup, then delete the user from the database, then create a login for SQL Server, then map that login to a user in the database you just restored with appropriate permissions (db_owner is fine on your local). Keep in mind there is a difference between a login and a user. Logins have credentials that connect you to a database, and a user is what allows you to perform operations on a database (such as selecting data). Logins and users are linked together, and SQL Server Management Studio makes creating them easy.

Once that's done, you'll have to update the connection string (typically in the web.config) to point to your local database with the appropriate login credentials (username/password).

Oct 02, 2015 @ 09:07
    Darren Wilson

Hi Guys,

Managed to install the database by installing SQL server express and SQL Server Management. Thanks for your help.

Darren

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft