Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• George 32 posts 65 karma points
    Oct 13, 2015 @ 14:01
    George

Deploying a site with a new URL

Hi Everyone

When I create a test site, Umbraco creates the database tables with the schema prefix of the URL. I'm assuming so it can have multiple sites in a single database.

However, when I want to make the site live, I copy the files and database over to the live site, and Umbraco gives me the installation screen (I'm guessing it's gone to the database, not found tables with the prefix of it's new URL and assumed it hasn't been installed).

I've seen various ways of renaming the schema (http://www.carbonsoft.co.uk/articles/2012/06/copying-an-umbraco-website.aspx) but cannot do this with my hosting environment.

Does anyone know if you can tell Umbraco not to prefix the tables with the URL (yes, I realise that means one site one database)? Or perhaps there is an easier way of changing the schema prefix?

Thanks in advance

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 13, 2015 @ 14:21
    Steve Morgan

Really? What version of Umbraco are you using? I've never seen DB tables with a prefix!?

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Oct 13, 2015 @ 20:00
    Mark Bowser

Ya. That sounds very unusual. I haven't seen that before. Could you post a screenshot of what you are talking about?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 07:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It's most likely that your hosting provider is adding that schema name (Umbraco certainly doesn't) so you'd have to ask them for some help with that. I assume that they've given you a connection string with a user that has access to that schema though so it should work (Umbraco doesn't depend on a schema name so any schema works as long as it's configured correctly for the user account).

• George 32 posts 65 karma points
    Oct 27, 2015 @ 11:32
    George

Hi Everyone, sorry for the long delay replying (it's been a week of two go-lives!)

Thanks for your input, and yes you are absolutely right - the hosting provider is creating a schema for the database user. So when you run the install all the tables are prefixed with the user's schema rather than dbo.

We found a really useful article about this (in case anyone is having problems with this!) here: http://www.carbonsoft.co.uk/articles/2012/06/copying-an-umbraco-website.aspx

Thanks for your help everyone! Umbraco has a great community!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft