Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 12:15
    Saied

Need recommendation on structuring media?

Hello Everyone,

My question is very specific, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas on the best way to structure media that would make it easier for a content manager to use and for Umbraco when it comes to traversing the media section for these media types. First I will give a scenario:

A user comes to the website and they search for a product. Each product is associate with one or more vehicles, so in their search criteria, they specify the Make, Model, Year, and Engine of the vehicle. So after they click search, I know all these things and I can use them as criteria for my search. In addition, I know the Part Number which is the unique identifier for each product I am going off. So what I am basically asking is what is the best structure for this:

Examples:

• Part Number

• Year
        • Make
        • Model
          • Engine
    • Year

• Make
        • Model
          • Engine
          • Part Numbers folders

Something else. Not every part will have vehicle specific media, so some of it may be generic.

• Dave de Moel 122 posts 574 karma points c-trib
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 13:01
    Dave de Moel

As far as Umbraco is concerned it doesn't really matter. And as far as the content manager is concerned, why not discuss it with them? They can tell you specifically exactly how they want it, as that can differ per person using it.

In my opinion though the most logical way is your first example.

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 13:21
    Saied

Hi David,

Thanks for your input. If I go with the first way, that means I would have to have the vehicle folders repeated for every part number, for example:

• PartNumber A

• Year
        • Make
          • Model
            • Engine
    • PartNumber B

• Year
        • Make
          • Model
            • Engine

Also, I was thinking of have a global features folder that applies to all products/part numbers where the content manager can create all the features and then if a feature exists for a certain vehicle, they would just add that vehicle at that time. Does this make sense?

Thanks, Saied

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft