Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• qrayg 24 posts 92 karma points
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 12:32
    qrayg

Can't Duplicate 7.3.0 Site

I successfully upgraded my 7.2.8 site to 7.3.0, when I make a file system copy and database backup to duplicate to site, everything seems to work fine but when I hit the duplicated site it prompts me to upgrade (which it should not since it is already upgraded). When I click next it throws this error. https://cl.ly/image/412o25042h03?_ga=1.255780808.1128681025.1413469747

I'm basically trying to create a starterkit. I've been using the same process since 2006 on all my Umbraco sites. I have scripts that create an IIS account, create a folder, unzip the file system, and import the database backup. These scripts and process have worked for nearly 10 years. But for some reason my 7.3.0 site does not allow duplication without prompting for an upgrade and then failing.

I looked at the stack trace as suggested but nothing makes sense to me. Has anyone else successfully duplicated a 7.3.0 site?

You would think an exact duplicate file system and database would work just fine on any CMS... in fact, I do this all the time without any issues.

Also, keep in mind that I've been trying this for 3 days straight and have tried nearly every possible variation. Also, I can use the exact same scripts and process and create a 7.2.8 site just fine.

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 13:18
    Dan Roddis

Does the copied database contain an umbracoMigration table? This should have a row in it with version 7.3.0.

The error looks to be complaining it's expecting to find that table and it doesn't exist. It's a new table as of 7.3.0.

Maybe the web.config version stamp says it's running 7.3.0 so it's checking for that table to see if it has the 7.3.0 migration - but if the table doesn't yet exist?

I've essentially done a manual duplication on Azure between staging slots and had no problems.

Oct 14, 2015 @ 19:37
    qrayg

The database is an exact replica of my fully working 7.3.0 site. The duped site should never trigger the upgrade process to begin with because it has already been upgraded.

The web.config has 7.3.0 because it was successfully upgraded to 7.3.0 from 7.2.8 and the file system is an exact copy (sans the new connection string for the duped database).

I do not understand why the upgrade screen is being triggered when it's already been upgraded. The only thing I can think of is that the 7.2.8 site application pool was set to Classic but 7.3.0 requires Integrated.

I really don't want to start over as I have my DocTypes, Datatypes, Templates, Forms, Macros, XSLT, all set the way I need, but it looks like that may be my only option. I think I'll see if I can package all that up and then import it into a fresh 7.3.0 install and see if I can dupe from there.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 14, 2015 @ 21:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately, Dan is on the right track.. the error indicates that the umbracoMigration table doesn't exist or isn't accessible for some reason (db user rights?).

Oct 15, 2015 @ 16:26
    qrayg

The CMS shouldn't even be triggering the upgrade to begin with. It's an EXACT duplicate of a site that's already on the latest version and was successfully upgraded.

The table doesn't exist because it was already upgraded.

Something else is going on here.

I can duplicate a 7.2.8 site in the exact same way. For some reason on initialization of a duplicated and already upgraded 7.3.0 site it incorrectly triggers the upgrade process. There's nothing to upgrade.

Oct 15, 2015 @ 16:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't understand this:

The table doesn't exist because it was already upgraded.

The table NEEDS to exists else it will upgrade so it can create the table.

Previously you stated that the database was exactly the same in both environments? It sounds like you're pointing the 7.3.0 site to a 7.2.8 database.

Just FYI: we don't regularly make changes to the database but sometimes do in minor releases (7.1.0, 7.2.0 and 7.3.0). As of 7.3.0, when Umbraco starts it looks in the umbracoMigrations table (if it exists) and checks to see which migrations have been done - those are both database migrations and possible database migrations.

Oct 15, 2015 @ 19:07
    qrayg

The table did not exist on the upgraded 7.3.0 db (which is quite strange that the site even works at all) and that's why it didn't exist in the duplicated db.

There must be something weird that happens when upgrading a site from 7.2.8 to 7.3.0, duplicate it and hit the dupe for the first time. The 7.2.8 kit I have was originally a 7.2.4 and then was upgraded to 7.2.8.

I tested my theory by creating a fresh install of 7.3.0 and then duplicating it and it worked. But if I create a fresh 7.2.8 site, upgrade it to 7.3.0 it cannot be duplicated. This sucks because now I have to migrate all of my DocTypes, Templates, Macros, Partials, DataTypes, CSS, etc. into this new kit. Maybe I should take this as warning and just create a package of all of these items and just do a fresh install of Umbraco for every new version and apply my package on top so there's no chance of an upgrade destroying my productivity.

Keep in mind that I have scripts that do this duplication for me and they generate a new DB so it is NOT connecting to an old db. I've used these scripts to install my starterkits since 2006. They have been rock solid. I supply a zipped root folder, a backup database, and the scripts creates a new folder, unzips the file system, creates an IIS account, Creates a NEW db, User, and PW, and modifies the web.config with all the new credentials. It makes installing a new Umbraco site take a few seconds rather than minutes.

In the hundreds of sites I built with Umbraco this is the very first time I was not able to install a new kit with my scripts going back to v3-ish.

Oct 18, 2015 @ 18:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Of course it would be ludicrous if you'd have to upgrade a site by copying your data in a new version each time, we intend to make upgrades as easy as possible so you don't have to create weird and awkward workarounds like this.

If the version (umbracoConfigurationStatus) in the SOURCE website's web.config is 7.3.0 and the table umbracoMigration does not exist then the upgrade did not work.

If you can still run the website with 7.3.0 in the web.config and the table not exisitng then there's something wrong.

To test, I've just removed the umbracoMigration table from my 7.3.0 install and the site immediately told me I needed to upgrade again. The upgrade caused the umbracoMigration table to be added again. I think you might be copying the wrong database.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 16:10
    qrayg

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not copying the wrong database. I've redone it about 50 times. I even removed the 7.2.8 site from SQL just to make sure it wasn't pulling the wrong database.

I'm pretty competent and I'm very meticulous. I spent 2 days working on this before submitting this original thread. I'm 100% sure I was not copying the wrong database. I've never done that in 15+ years of working in Web Dev, but there's always a chance and I made extra sure.

I'm thinking something went wrong somewhere, maybe in the 7.2.4 to 7.2.8 upgrade many months ago. Who knows.

Either way, the solution to this is to start over from a fresh 7.3.0 and package up then import all my starterkit info. It's not ideal but it's the only thing I can do.

Again, thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it. Most my other threads here never had a response so I'm very grateful that you tried to help.

I truly do like Umbraco and will continue to use it.

Edit: I looked more closely at the upgraded DB and noticed the Migration Table name was renamed during the upgrade:

7.3.0 db upgraded from 7.2.8

My 7.2.8 sites have the same thing, some of the tables have been renamed using the DB user... strange. I'm guessing this happened somewhere in 7.2.4.

Oct 19, 2015 @ 16:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I never questioned your competence! :-)

Would it be possible to zip up the 7.3 version of the site + database and send me a dropbox or wetransfer (or whatever) link to [email protected] so I can have a look please?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft