Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Kirschner 323 posts 611 karma points
    Oct 20, 2015 @ 18:23
    Matthew Kirschner

Preview Button Makes Backoffice Unresponsive

Using Umbraco 7.2.8, whenever I hit the Preview button on a page, the backoffice becomes unresponsive and the preview tab that is opened shows a blank page with an infinitely loading icon. I can't even open the browser in new tabs and am forced to use another browser. Once I reset the server, the backoffice returns to normal and I can then preview the page. This has happened to me several times so far.

Are these symptoms familiar to anyone? I have been having a TON of trouble with the backoffice lately and am getting hardly any errors in the logs.

Oct 20, 2015 @ 18:32
    Matthew Kirschner

On second look, I am getting the following warning in the log:

Could not find persisted pre-value for field startNodeId

It may also be worth noting that I'm attempting to preview a published page with saved (as in un-published) changes.

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 12:33
    Dan Roddis

Hi Matthew - we're hosted in Azure and have similar problems with preview performance in particular.

We have previews that can take upwards of 2-3 minutes to complete and until they do complete the site is unresponsive for that user - I believe because preview generation is acting as a blocking request.

If you haven't tried it try another browser when the back-end is unresponsive so you have a different session to test the theory, we've managed to avoid needing a restart to handle performance problems.

This might not be true of your case and it doesn't explain how to speed up preview though - just wanted to weigh in our experience.

Oct 21, 2015 @ 13:17
    Matthew Kirschner

Hi, Dan.

We are not on Azure, but the problems we're facing seem to be identical. I appreciate your suggestion of switching browsers (I've done it myself) but unfortunately it won't work for our users since their IT department has their computers locked down to a single browser (FireFox). I may have to look into disabling the Preview button until I can figure out a fix.

Are you also load balancing by any chance?

• Dan Roddis 57 posts 241 karma points
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 13:32
    Dan Roddis

Hi Matthew,

We have a single application handling both front-end and back-end in Azure.

We're not actively load balancing or using the scalability/instances features of Azure yet.

I did wonder if it was bottlenecked at the database level with us being in Azure on a relatively modest setup (that being said it should be more than capable of handling what we're asking it to do) but potentially not if you're seeing the same issues outside of Azure.

I've noticed preview is much quicker (5-10 seconds) using my local machine when developing running the same code, data and configuration which leads me to think it's environmental or a sub-optimal configuration for our production environment.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft