Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 18:00
    Dan Evans

Advice on load testing / performance issues

We have a load balanced site - Each server has 4 cores, and 8GB RAM, nothing resource contained apart from the pure CPU on that app pool.

When each server is handling around 300 concurrent users with around 170 requests/sec before the CPU is at 100% and we see a massive slow down.

Every static file request is passing to the UmbracoModule - so files in the media folder (which may be expected given the rewrite element), but also the css folder/images folder etc.

These are creating high CPU given the number of elements on the page

Lots of images are using ImageProcessor/ImageCropper.

My question is, is this performance normal? We used to have the same site on U6 and it handled this level of traffic with ease.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Mark 91 posts -18 karma points
    Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:07
    Mark

If you see issues with static files like CSS I would say your environment need additional configuration, have you also thought about using a CDN to offload the media requests from the application server?

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:19
    Dan Evans

Media requests are not for static files though. They all get run through ImageProcessor that pulls out the correct crop from a cache.

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:29
    Mark

Yes but if you are seeing performance issues with CSS files then something isn't quite right. Are you in a shared environment?

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:35
    Dan Evans

Sorry, that's not the problem. I was wondering why all static files are being processed by Umbraco but the main issue is ImageProcessor.

It's not a shared environment - it's a dedicated 4 server LB for this site. It was fine last year on U6 but since a rebuild on U7 with ImageProcessor performance has dropped.

I think it is a config issue rather than an issue with ImageProcessor per se.

Oct 22, 2015 @ 10:45
    Mark

I think you are probably right, I don't think that there have been many changes since U6 in the image processing functionality.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft